Multimatic 200 spool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimatic 200 spool question

So few months ago i started using my mig setup since i had run out of gas for my tig setup and needed to continue working on my project. So i had small spools of wire and set it up, after a number completions wire was no longer feeding, so i opened to check and found that the spool had come unraveled. Since these spools were not the full size that the machine is setup to use, is there a trick to use these smaller spools so i can finish up the spools?

Or is there a adapter that i need in order to use the smaller spools?

You need an adapter with a drag on the small spool is the easiest...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Is there a specific vendor i can find the adapter? Does it go by a specific name?

thank you

Comment

The machine came with a adapter or whatever its called for the larger spools and spools with the larger center opening.. the small spools i have are the ones with the small center opening probably 3/4" or smaller opening, which will slide on to the spool holder,

Comment

Get a 5/8" id compression spring and a washer at the hardware store and slip some of it on the spindle past the spool so the nut tightens up and pushes against the spool...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

ok cool, yea i did the washer portion, but not the spring, ill have to pick that up on the way home and setup..

thanks

Comment

Here is how I made my adapter and the spring I am talking about...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

I did a similar setup to put an itty bitty spool of 308 wire into my MM250. Just a spring with a washer and a nut. Outside of looking ridiculous having that tiny spool in the big machine, it works very well.

Comment

Your machine already has all the parts. You take the adaptor off to use small spools...unscrew the big plastic retaining nut, pull the adaptor off. Unscrew the metal nut/spring/washer, insert small spool, put washer/spring/nut back on and tighten so there is a bit of drag. Go make sparks.
                  Ryan
                  MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
                  MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
                  SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                  (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
                  Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                  OPTREL e684 helmet
                  SMITH torches
                  HARRIS torches

Comment

5-13. Installing Wire Spool And Adjusting Hub Tension

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...53392J_MIL.pdf
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

In general the small spools are a pain to use- you really need to set up the tension on the retaining nut just about perfect for them to spool out nicely.
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I usually keep a few small spools of various sizes and alloy's of wire, my **** lawyer Murphy always works more overtime. I few times this Boy Scout was prepared and I put one over on him and had a spare little spool to finish that job where...$#%&([email protected]$%# I only have a few more welds to finish, it's late at night or Saturday and everyone is closed.

I just snug up the nut so there is the slightest drag so the spool won't freewheel. Never had any trouble with any of them on any machine.
                        Ryan
                        MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
                        MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
                        SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
                        (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
                        Weld-Mask goggles/hood
                        OPTREL e684 helmet
                        SMITH torches
                        HARRIS torches

Comment

I have the same backup wire. I also do it with welding gases. Have a couple of small cylinders as reserve.

Comment

I really appreciate the suggestions and guidance, guess when i was setting it up, i didnt take the time to pay attention, im using the smaller spools because i had them left over and never used from my first small welder and having lost my job, wasnt looking to spend money on parts i already had..

I should be out welding this weeking, so i will relook at my setup, and try and follow all the suggestions and steps provided to make it work.

Is there a good online source for the larger spools without breaking the bank?

Comment

I've never bought welding wire online. I generally try to use what I can get locally so it's always the same. Just get good quality stuff. You never know what's in that cheap stuff or how consistent it will be from spool to spool. <br />
                              <br />
                              I have found that my LWS buys certain wires in certain diameters and spool sizes by the container load, so they can sell it cheaper. For example, I can get a spool of esab .045 dual shield in a 44lb spool for the same prices as I can get the same wire in a .035 10lb-er, simply because they buy so much of it and get such a good price on the stuff. <br />
                              <br />
                              Where are you located? If you're near me, I accidentally bought an extra 10lb roll of .035 solid wire I'll let you have. I don't run .035 in my small machine and only have the 10lb one for a backup to my 44lb spools in my big machine. Now I have two 10lb spools, it'll take me forever to use it and it'll be a bag of rust by then.

Comment

Working...
                              X