Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do with my Miller Bobcat 225?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do with my Miller Bobcat 225?

Hey all,

I've got a 1996 Miller Bobcat 225 Kohler with 900 hours on it, in really nice shape, the only problem is that it seems to be going through a lot of oil. The weird thing is that it doesn't smoke at all. There is no white smoke and no oil residue on the exhaust pipe at all. When I take the plugs out, they're oily and a little bit fowled up. I'm thinking that it's probably piston rings. I'm not welding every day and I could probably get away with just constantly topping off the oil, but I don't want to kill my engine. What kind of expense/work is involved in changing rings? The guy that I bought it from said that he had already changed the rings, and he gave me a gasket kit. I am wanting to get a bigger machine for air arc, so I might just end up selling it the way that it is. Let me know what you would do.
    Thanks!

I am guessing there isn't any external leaks .If you are getting another welder I would sell it as is ,even if you have to drop the price a little.You won't recoup the cost of the repair

Comment

There definately aren't any external leaks. This welder is in excellent shape externally.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertanCatskinner View Post
        There definately aren't any external leaks. This welder is in excellent shape externally.
        What type of oil are you running..??

I Would change oil (and filter if it has one) "Rotella T" would be my choice for oil.... or Aeroshell

Oil type does make a difference.... here is a thread

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-cooled-engine

Last edited by H80N; 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Changing the rings and knowing how to change the rings is two differnt things .Did he hone the cylinder ,gap the rings ,offset the gaps?

Comment

That thread completely changed how I look at oil and many of my friends have followed suit after you guys opened my eyes to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bls repair View Post
              Changing the rings and knowing how to change the rings is two differnt things .Did he hone the cylinder ,gap the rings ,offset the gaps?
              What Bls said.

MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
              *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
              *HF-251D-1
              *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
              PakMaster 100XL
              Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
              http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Sounds like a bad "rebuild" ---- plus I'm not a fan of Kohler and have seen a disproportionate number of issues with engine internals. Kubota, on the other hand, is bullet-proof ---- I've personally put extremely high hours on a BX2370 subcompact and ZD25 zero turn mowers --- these Kubota engines simply last a "lifetime" (with proper care).

Comment

Is the oil level dropping regularly on the dip stick? I find it hard to believe that your piston rings are worn out with only 900 hrs on the motor. A gas motor should run aprox 5000 hours between over hauls if maintained properly.
                  As stated, I'd start with a fresh oil and filter change.
                  Lincoln Idealarc 250
                  Miller Bobcat 250
                  Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                  Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
                  X