Porosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porosity

So I work in construction as a welder and I'm welding columns onto plates or welding one half onto the other half thats already on the ground so they basically put the column in place for me and I weld it in the middle to join the two columns. But I've been having a issue with porosity on the end and sometimes the beginning of the beads which are on the corner of the column which is where I stop to reposition myself to weld the other side of the column can anyone give me some advice on this please. Thanks in advance

I am guessing you have been doing this for a while as well as hold certs for this type of work, my only suggestion would be that you make sure your rods don't get wet. I am assuming you use 7018? The low hydrogen type rod so if you don't keep them in a rod oven or whatever they are called, that might do it if they get wet.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Porosity at the beginning of a 7018 bead is almost always caused by too long of an arc at start up. Thus you loose your shielding and you get porosity. Shorten up your arc and don't start up too far away from where you want to start your bead.
      Ensure you wire wheel off the rust and scale a bit before you start also.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Miller Bobcat 250
      Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Snoeproe thanks for the advice I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Tight arc wheĆ½n after striking and start to weld right about where you need to

Comment

I always start a little ahead then bring it back where I need to start the weld.

Comment

That can be a cause of your porosity if your starting up and moving back from too far away.
            Lincoln Idealarc 250
            Miller Bobcat 250
            Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Keep your arc length tight and watch that the wind isn't blowing way too hard; but I imagine you already knew all of that!

Comment

Good point about the wind boomer63 it has been pretty windy lately and I remember reading somewhere before that anything above 5mph winds are not good welding conditions.

Comment

Snoeproe I paid special attention on where I'm striking and starting the weld today and keeping a tight arc especially when starting and ending, and got much better results. Thanks again.

Comment

Just curious, are the ends of the columns painted? And has the heavy scale been cut / ground off?

Comment

I weld structural steel for a living. Never had the wind cause me problems when 7018 stick welding. Dual shield flux cor or solid wire with gas, yes. Wind will create havok for you but never with stick.
                      Lincoln Idealarc 250
                      Miller Bobcat 250
                      Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
                      X