Straighten out that leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straighten out that leg

For those that haven't tried this it works and it's easy. Welded a diagonal support and the leg bent at the weld ,not surprising. To straighten it out just ran a few weld beads on the other side of the tube and cooled it off with a wet rag. Bam it's straight again. The warp on this part wasn't that bad but this method can move material alot. Just thought I would share this with all you folks out there.

If you don't want a weld bead just heat it in that spot with a torch...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Did that with a torch in an identical situation last week. Works like a charm. Thanks for posting, guys. Many people don't know you can do that.

Comment

I was taught 33 years ago when i was a Union Sheet Metal Worker that you need to put a much heat on the other side as the welded side and it will pull back...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

That will work and save some grinding.But for those will limited skill with a torch or those with out a torch, 3 or 4 beads with the mig gun and a little grinding gets them there.

Comment

At my last job in a large compressor company. The mechanics used to bring me large bearing races that were pressed on and they would say weld 3 or 4 beads and stand it so the bearing would fall off. Plop there it went. Bearing race off without pressing...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

If you hv a crack open up on large part & cant get it back together. Take thick piece of metal heat it to dull red, lay over crack weld on both sides, cool with air gun. Will pull together. Weld crack. Then cut off. If large crack can use more than one. <br />
              There are companies that specialize in straightening large I beams like bridges with torches & cooling pretty awesome. <br />
              <br />
              You can also straighten or pull metal by peening with hammer. The old timers were masters at straightening cast iron by peening. Getting to be lost art.

Comment

Very cool stuff!

Comment

Yeah, I have tried this method but I just can't get it right lol. Hammer ends up being my way to go
                  if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
                  X