Spoolmatic 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolmatic 2

I picked up a Spoolmatic 2 and WC-2 last week for like dirt cheap. Wired it up to my dialarc HF-P. Turned the high frequency off. Turned the remote amperage and the remote contactor off. The guy bought it from had spade connectors on the cord from the WC-2 that go to the remote contactor. He told me that those were the wires that I'd hook up to the gun control on my mig welder. After looking at the wiring diagrams, I realized that wasn't the case. Those wires need AC voltage and are labeled remote contactor. So I pulled the two prong twist lock plug off of my foot pedal and replaced the spade connectors with the plug. Plugged it in, turned the power on and pulled the trigger. I can hear the contactor switch. There's weld output or at least there's current at the spool gun tip. The problem I'm having is the drive motor in the gun. It wasn't feeding wire. So I pulled the cover off and pulled the trigger. The motor kind of shakes. There's voltage to it but when I pull the trigger, the drive wheel just kind of rocks one way then back like it wants to go but doesn't have the juice. Pulled the motor out, pulled it apart and found a bad capacitor. The markings on the capacitor are burned off. Called Miller only to find out not only was the motor obsolete in 2013, but the company that makes it shut their doors sometime in the mid 80s So there's no specs available for the capacitor. Do any of you know what capacitor is used between the brushes in the drive motor of the spoolmatic

Looked at a representative manual. Since the cap is inside the motor, it isn't on the parts list, but you probably already knew that. Can only hope someone has a Spoolmatic 2 and is willing to look inside for you.

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping it would come with the set of brushes which is what led me to find out those were obsolete in 1999 and there were no specs available for those either. So hopefully someone is nice enough to look.

Comment

You can make some brushes from some that are close-take the old ones to a motor shop and see what you can find that can be filed down to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nd2ski View Post
          Yeah, I was hoping it would come with the set of brushes which is what led me to find out those were obsolete in 1999 and there were no specs available for those either. So hopefully someone is nice enough to look.
          brushes are usually easy

many times you can find a close sub at your local ACE hdwr

just find one a little bit bigger & longer... then shave to desired size...........

HAH...Ya beat me

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know if I ever need them but I'm not after brushes. Those still look good. The bad capacitor is soldered to tabs that attach to the brush housings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nd2ski View Post
              Thanks, that's good to know if I ever need them but I'm not after brushes. Those still look good. The bad capacitor is soldered to tabs that attach to the brush housings.
              any chance of some pics ...???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I'll grab some tomorrow morning when I get to my shop

Comment

Same motor in the Spoolmatic 1, 2 & 3.
                  MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                  Syncrowave 180 SD
                  Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                  *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                  *HF-251D-1
                  *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                  PakMaster 100XL
                  Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Well, if I hadn't sold my Spoolmatic 1 I could look. But, it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X