• Show
Clear All

• BennettSmith
    replied
    Good define,Thanks for the information!

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Now i am confused as heck. Just got another cylinder back from the same testing company with fresh paint and a new stamp and it has stamping on the side. Don't know if it was a different person that tests but will find out...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yup. Good info to share.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Thought it was important to point out the rather unusual configuration of ACET Cylinders as opposed to conventional high pressure gas bottles

That's right. I know not everyone knows what's inside one. A guy brought an acetylene and wanted it filled with Argon. That's a no go for sure..Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Thought it was important to point out the rather unusual configuration of ACET Cylinders as opposed to conventional high pressure gas bottles

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

That's typical with Acetylene cylinders as they are just made from mild steel and not Chrome Molly of the high pressure ones...Bob
    FWIW... Acet tanks are different
    • acetylene
      • Note: Acetylene cylinders contain an inert packing material, which may be agamassan, and are filled with a solvent such as acetone or dimethylformamide. The acetylene is pumped into the cylinder and it dissolves in the solvent. When the cylinder is opened the acetylene comes back out of solution, much like a carbonated beverage bubbles when opened. This is a workaround to acetylene's property to explode when pressurized above 200 kPa or liquified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene

Click image for larger version

Name:	Construction-of-Acetylene-Cylinder.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	573031
    Attached Files
    Last edited by H80N; 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandy View Post

One acetylene does have a dig or two tho. It's probably a gonner.
    That's typical with Acetylene cylinders as they are just made from mild steel and not Chrome Molly of the high pressure ones...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

From what I have seen it was the orig manufactures, but years ago it may have been common practice. That 1915 cyl I spoke of was date stamped on the side by testers of the day plus the mfg logo. The USN cyl was prob stamped by the cyl manufacturer as per the USN specs of the time...Bob

Plus years ago it wasn't a violation it was just common practice.
    Yeh, Ive got 7 tanks-bottles. None of 'em have any markings below the shoulder area. One acetylene does have a dig or two tho. It's probably a gonner.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sandy View Post
    Who or who all would be the source of these stampings that placed a cylinders in violation I wonder? It would be a rare customer that would see fit to go stamping on a cylinder. This is a case where the consumer leaves it to the corporations and/or pros.
    From what I have seen it was the orig manufactures, but years ago it may have been common practice. That 1915 cyl I spoke of was date stamped on the side by testers of the day plus the mfg logo. The USN cyl was prob stamped by the cyl manufacturer as per the USN specs of the time...Bob

Plus years ago it wasn't a violation it was just common practice.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Who or who all would be the source of these stampings that placed a cylinders in violation I wonder? It would be a rare customer that would see fit to go stamping on a cylinder. This is a case where the consumer leaves it to the corporations and/or pros.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Reminds me of the old 1982 A Team TV show where they were trapped in an old barn in the middle of nowhere and there just happened to be a 12 pack of full oxygen cylinders. They made a launcher and BA wacked the valve with a sledge and fought their way out...Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Then there are worst case scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1to...1tosV3KSFc#t=0

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Some Rejects are being made into bells and gongs
    I took one for an air tank for my compressor I just checked 2 that failed and one was side stamped but it was a 1915 model so its too old and the stamping doesn't matter on it. The 2nd one is stamped USN under all of the paint..Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Some Rejects are being made into bells and gongs

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cylinder+bells

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    Interesting. I'll be sure to check mine. All of mine come from the same LWS, so if they say anything I can easily say, "well that's how you gave them to me".
    Well since i am our LWS i have to check every cylinder real good that comes in the door...Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X