No announcement yet.

High pressure welding cylinder FYI's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who or who all would be the source of these stampings that placed a cylinders in violation I wonder? It would be a rare customer that would see fit to go stamping on a cylinder. This is a case where the consumer leaves it to the corporations and/or pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      Who or who all would be the source of these stampings that placed a cylinders in violation I wonder? It would be a rare customer that would see fit to go stamping on a cylinder. This is a case where the consumer leaves it to the corporations and/or pros.
      From what I have seen it was the orig manufactures, but years ago it may have been common practice. That 1915 cyl I spoke of was date stamped on the side by testers of the day plus the mfg logo. The USN cyl was prob stamped by the cyl manufacturer as per the USN specs of the time...Bob

Plus years ago it wasn't a violation it was just common practice.
      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

From what I have seen it was the orig manufactures, but years ago it may have been common practice. That 1915 cyl I spoke of was date stamped on the side by testers of the day plus the mfg logo. The USN cyl was prob stamped by the cyl manufacturer as per the USN specs of the time...Bob

Plus years ago it wasn't a violation it was just common practice.
        Yeh, Ive got 7 tanks-bottles. None of 'em have any markings below the shoulder area. One acetylene does have a dig or two tho. It's probably a gonner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post

One acetylene does have a dig or two tho. It's probably a gonner.
          That's typical with Acetylene cylinders as they are just made from mild steel and not Chrome Molly of the high pressure ones...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

That's typical with Acetylene cylinders as they are just made from mild steel and not Chrome Molly of the high pressure ones...Bob
            FWIW... Acet tanks are different
            • acetylene
              • Note: Acetylene cylinders contain an inert packing material, which may be agamassan, and are filled with a solvent such as acetone or dimethylformamide. The acetylene is pumped into the cylinder and it dissolves in the solvent. When the cylinder is opened the acetylene comes back out of solution, much like a carbonated beverage bubbles when opened. This is a workaround to acetylene's property to explode when pressurized above 200 kPa or liquified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylene

Click image for larger version

Name:	Construction-of-Acetylene-Cylinder.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	573031
            Attached Files
            Last edited by H80N; 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thought it was important to point out the rather unusual configuration of ACET Cylinders as opposed to conventional high pressure gas bottles

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                Thought it was important to point out the rather unusual configuration of ACET Cylinders as opposed to conventional high pressure gas bottles

That's right. I know not everyone knows what's inside one. A guy brought an acetylene and wanted it filled with Argon. That's a no go for sure..Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Yup. Good info to share.

Comment

Now i am confused as heck. Just got another cylinder back from the same testing company with fresh paint and a new stamp and it has stamping on the side. Don't know if it was a different person that tests but will find out...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

Good define,Thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
                      X