High pressure welding cylinder FYI's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pressure welding cylinder FYI's

We just had a batch of cylinders fail inspection because there were date stamping's below the radius of the neck. New ruling no marks below the neck including stamping's and dents. I have seen lots of those pass thru here in the last 5 months. So don't buy any used cylinders with those markings. Just passing this on...Bob
    Bob Wright

explicitly define "radius of the neck". Better yet, can you attach a picture with a diagram label where it depicts this? Thanks
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

From the line down....Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks for the information. We have about 30 tanks in our shop just checked them, all good but that will be something to watch for. Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Bob, is this a new DOT rule or something from whoever does your hydro testing? Thats a heck of a note I tell ya. A lot of people gonna be upset. We have HUNDREDS of high pressure cylinders for breathing air at the fire department. The old ones are solid metal but the newer ones (I say newer...15 year old now) are steel wrapped in carbon fiber. Instead of stamping the hydro dates into them, we have an embossed sticker put on them. Maybe thats the direction this is going.

Comment

From what i have been told its been on the books for a while but now that the testing companies are using ultrasound that measure the thickness it shows up. I asked a place that does the hydro test and they won't touch them either. We have about 400 cylinders here and i have looked at the half on the floor. I have seen lots of CO2 cylinders i fill for the beer fans and most of them are stamped on the side. So looks like they will be screwed too...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

http://www.c-f-c.com/gaslink/docs/dot_cylinder.htm Its the 2nd Number 1 close to the top...Bob

(1) Additional information not affecting the markings prescribed in the applicable cylinder specification may be placed on the cylinder. No indentation may be made in the sidewall of the cylinder unless specifically permitted in the applicable specification.
                Bob Wright

Comment

Interesting. I'll be sure to check mine. All of mine come from the same LWS, so if they say anything I can easily say, "well that's how you gave them to me".
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Oscar
                    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                      Interesting. I'll be sure to check mine. All of mine come from the same LWS, so if they say anything I can easily say, "well that's how you gave them to me".
                      Well since i am our LWS i have to check every cylinder real good that comes in the door...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Some Rejects are being made into bells and gongs

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cylinder+bells

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                          Some Rejects are being made into bells and gongs
                          I took one for an air tank for my compressor I just checked 2 that failed and one was side stamped but it was a 1915 model so its too old and the stamping doesn't matter on it. The 2nd one is stamped USN under all of the paint..Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

Then there are worst case scenarios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1to...1tosV3KSFc#t=0

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Reminds me of the old 1982 A Team TV show where they were trapped in an old barn in the middle of nowhere and there just happened to be a 12 pack of full oxygen cylinders. They made a launcher and BA wacked the valve with a sledge and fought their way out...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X