Lot's of smoke, welding aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lot's of smoke, welding aluminum

i have a miller 211using spool mate 100 series. i am not a professional welder but did aluminum welding before on a number of projects with the same equipment. i am now retrofitting an aluminum trailer and i cannot get my equipment to work properly. i get lots of smoke and the aluminum wire is not penetrating the aluminum. i clean with acetone and steel brush. i have tried different settings, wire feed and voltage nothing seems to work. i am connected to 220 voltage. thx

Originally posted by nulla View Post
    i have a miller 211using spool mate 100 series. i am not a professional welder but did aluminum welding before on a number of projects with the same equipment. i am now retrofitting an aluminum trailer and i cannot get my equipment to work properly. i get lots of smoke and the aluminum wire is not penetrating the aluminum. i clean with acetone and steel brush. i have tried different settings, wire feed and voltage nothing seems to work. i am connected to 220 voltage. thx
    100% ARGON.... Not C25,,,???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

How thick is the aluminum? Old stuff is hard to prep esp if there is a seam that has crap in it...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Also leave the gun on the positive lug.

Comment

yes I am on 100% argon, i did not change my wire positions so i should be on positive lugs. i am testing on 1/8" and 1/4" there is no penetration. i just tried it on 110V it works better, i get penetration but there is still lot's of white smoke. thanks

Comment

is it possible that the 230v part of the machine is defective? looking for someone in los angeles, ca that can do repair.

Comment

If that wasn't working you wold not have much power if any.... I still think you have your leads on wrong.

Comment

Can you put up a couple of pictures of your welds?

Comment

I have that same spool gun. Sucking air around
                  top of tube. I have to run more wire feed than I think I should.

Comment

Working...
                  X