thx guys

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    +1..... Good Choice.....

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I think you made a wise choice-the 211 will make you happy for years to come given the uses listed in your original post. And, having bought a number of things from Cyberweld-they are a great company to deal with. Had a problem or two over the years (not their fault) and their resolution was above and beyond, and super fast. The true measure of a company us how they handle things going wrong, and those guys are tops! And, living in upstate NY, I have placed orders in the afternoon and had them at my door the next day.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Excellent choice. If you had gone with the 110v machine, I expect you would have been sorely disappointed in short order.

Leave a comment:

• edlebby
    replied
    thanks to all for the advice - very much appreciated

i agree with the the sentiment above on the MM211 v MM210...that is done

on a hobart v miller, i gave that lots of thought prior to the deciding to go with a miller - i think the hobart from what i have read is a fantastic machine and far exceeds my abilities today...and even shares some parts with the Miller - having said that, for $50 more (northerntool $950 delivered (900 plus tax, free delivery) for the H210 and comparing that to the cyberweld $1000 delivered for the MM211 (1100, 100 rebate, no tax no delivery)), why not go all they way miller?

as to going for a smaller mig welder (say a hh140 v mm141) the economics are the same conceptually - that is the mm is not that much more than the hh when factoring tax, delivery, rebates, etc - and as to starting small and then stepping up, i have always been a buy it right and buy it once kind of guy - why pay the retail premium (necessary to get the warranty) twice? - plus, i suspect the bigger MM will devalue less over the years so it will end up being a better "value buy" even if more $ up front - just my two cents from the research i have been doing - on top of that, i think there must be a premium you are paying for a 110 only machine to avoid having to do electrical wiring at home...i can easily wire up a 220v 50a outlet in the shop so why pay that premium when i don't need the 110 only luxury?

so...order has been placed for the MM211 (many more than 2 cents!) ... 1 more guy in the world that will know how to mig weld (probably very poorly for some time) - can't wait to be a rank amateur welder!

------

thank you
    Last edited by edlebby; 09-30-2016, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Don't forget to look around at places like Tractor Supply for the Hobart HH210 on sale. Great arc and reasonable price. Lots of guys love them and Hobart is a sister company of Miller owned by ITW.
    Just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• Silverback
    replied
    For what you've described you would be fine with any decent 110 welder.... no need to spend nearly that much. If you get good with it you'll get more done with something like that than a lot of people with much more invested in their welder.

I used a Hobart Handler 130 for years, and was quite happy with it. I actually got a MM211 a few years ago and am quite happy with it, but it didn't really add to my ability to MIG weld steel, even heavier stuff. Even though the MM is rated for much thicker steel in one pass than the HH, you could basically weld the same heavier stuff with a big weave or multiple passes. To be quite honest I was happier with the arc from the old HH (enough so that I haven't been in a hurry to sell it, honestly if it wasn't for the autoset I'd bet that it would have been MUCH harder to learn to weld with the MM than it was with the HH), and don't like the autoset on the MM (it gets you close if you're in a hurry, but you can almost always get better settings by tweaking the dials, and the arc is just not as smooth as the old HH). The thing that the MM really did add to my arsenal is the spool gun for aluminum- I have a TIG but there are times I'd rather just whip out the spool gun and start filling with it, especially if I need to lay down a lot of aluminum, but even that I had to modify to get it to work correctly (the stock tips are just way too small, most people have problems with them melting, I modified mine to use the same tips as my normal MIG gun)

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I'm with H80N and Datec. I pulled out my "old" (transformer) MM211 today to weld some 16 ga tubing. What a great machine. I'm still not ready to give up my antique MM200, which I've been using for most of this project but the 211 is awesome, and I'm sure the new one is equal or better. Given what you plan to use the machine for, you won't be sorry you went for the new 211 with a warranty.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 09-28-2016, 10:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• edlebby
    replied
    I think i agree

thx all

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    If he won't take any lower offers then the new 211 would be a good choice my 211 (previous version) is absolutely a bad *** unit and is all I will ever need and has more power then I could use for what I do.

Leave a comment:

• edlebby
    replied
    given the amount of continuous welding i would do for some time to come, it does not seem that the potential future use of the higher duty cycle outweighs the pros of a smaller newer unit and full warranty at same price - it appears that the 211 gives you and extra 1/16" and 10 amps at the same 40% cycle for $200...

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by edlebby View Post
    thx H80N

not that it will matter at this stage but doesn't the 210 have a higher duty rate?
    Yes that is true

MM210 160amps @ 60% Duty Cycle (Range 30-210amps)
    MM211 150amps @ 40% Duty Cycle (Range 30-230amps)
    Last edited by H80N; 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edlebby
    replied
    thx H80N

not that it will matter at this stage but doesn't the 210 have a higher duty rate?

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by edlebby View Post
    if i have absolute access to 240v at all times, is there any reason to get the 211 v the 190?

in other words, is the real comparison 210 v 190 or 210 v 211 for what i am looking to do?
    The MM211 is 38lbs and handles 3/8 inch........... the MM190 is 35lbs and handles 5/16 inch..... the used MM210 is 200lbs and handles 3/8 inch...

I would opt for a NEW MM211 with warranty instead of a used machine with no warranty

Leave a comment:

• edlebby
    replied
    Originally posted by DATEC View Post
    I might lean towards the used one cause of the bottle might want to see if he would negotiate a little.
    he started at 1750 ... he's not going down any lower

Leave a comment:

Working...
X