Best beginner tig handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best beginner tig handbook

I have 20 years in mig welding in and want to learn how to tig but don't have time for school what is the best handbook to buy so I can practice at home. Thanks Jeremy
    Last edited by Blingin97; 09-28-2016, 03:59 PM.

Originally posted by Blingin97 View Post
    I have 20 years in mig welding in and want to learn how to tig but don't have time for school what is the best handbook to buy so I can practice at home. Thanks Jeremy
    Basic TIG Guidelines Booklet

https://www.millerwelds.com/~/media/...s/gtawbook.pdf

Lots of free info here

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Jody has a bunch of good videos too

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eldingtips+tig

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 200

Comment

Thanks for the reply I also see tig welding for dummies has some good reviews but the price is high

Comment

Thanks for the reply I also see tig welding for dummies has some good reviews but the price is high
          The "Dummies" book has nothing new that you can't download in the free 24 page booklet

This one is ancient.... but fairly complete.... and the basics have NOT changed............... So...it is worth referencing...

http://www.esabna.com/euweb/tig_handbook/591tig1_1.htm

Wish that MILLER would repost their TIG Handbook PDF.... it was EXCELLENT..!!!!

here is a thread on it

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...6-tig-handbook

MAYBE ....Miller management will rethink this..???
          Last edited by H80N; 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

You don't need a book, TIG welding is simple 45 degree angle on the torch and don't forget to add rod. There your an expert! Just kidding read the basics but the only thing that will make you good at TIG is time under the hood.

Comment

That's what I was wondering if I should just practice at home. Think I will read that literature and practice at home thanks a lot

Comment

That's what I was wondering if I should just practice at home. Think I will read that literature and practice at home thanks a lot
                A lot of excellent free resources to teach yourself at home

Do you have a TIG machine yet..??

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

I did not go to school or anything like that but studied pretty much anything on TIG welding I could find online while using it for my job of maintaining an industrial kitchen where lots of stuff gets broken. I then advanced through basic and got into more advanced on the welding technology and started reading about metals and metallurgy, passivation technology and also studying Stick welding and pretty much ended up being the welder on site for 15 buildings but I read A LOT and practiced A LOT.

I still learn every day but if you want to learn, I recommend reading PDF's from online which in essence is the same as a book. I don't think a tutor is necessary but it definetley helps, I have an apprentice now who is learning but I am having him study the same as me and just direct and advise on his procedures and final welds which seems to be good.

Read and practice, make sure you grasp a new piece of information and can use it before you move onto the next or it all tends to blend and be confusing.

And you got Miller's forum for any questions, I did not have that for the first year but definetley been good every since.

Best of luck,
                  if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Thanks for all the input I do have a tig welder and mig welder at home. I think I will read some of your suggested posts and start playing with tig at home and hopefully I can catch on soon enough

Comment

One thing critical to good TIG welds is Tungsten Electrode selection.... prep & care

here is a useful guidebook

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

After a bit of practice, if you can find someone that is good at it to give you some one-on-one pointers, your skills will develop even faster. That skilled operator will be able to correct poor technique and offer advice that would otherwise take far longer to sink in.

Comment

I found some dusty Miller books here at work. Looks like they have been here for years and lots of info in them. One is TIG, Stick, and another for MIG. They should publish/sell them again...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

I'd buy a set. It would be good to hand to my nephews when they come over and want to learn to weld. At least get the iPad out of their hands for five seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              I'd buy a set. It would be good to hand to my nephews when they come over and want to learn to weld. At least get the iPad out of their hands for five seconds.
                              1995 is the date in the cover. Looks like Miller had lots of books avail at that time...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X