Syncrowave 180 blowing breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 180 blowing breaker

Just tryed out new syncrowave 180Sd yesterday, I wired on a plug and was tig welding aluminum at upto 130amps after welding about a 4" bead on some tubing the twinpole 40s popped . I let it cool tryed again and it popped. Ok so I move to the new part of the shop with newer panel and different ciruit still popped. Does that high frequency use extra current or what. I had little trouble welding at 300amps with the xmt on a 220v circuit. Any input is apprectiated
    30Aspool gun
    XMT350CC/CV
    74DxFEEDER
    SYNCROWAVE 180SD
    Optrel Sat blue
    Hypertherm 1250

Did you read the electric specs in the manual? The 180 is a greedy bugger.

Comment

It takes a 60A breaker and minmum of number 8 wire. Its the nature of the type of machine.

Comment

180 Sd

Most definitely need a big breaker, that machine at full draw putting out 180 Amps takes 75 AMPS of input power at 220V!!! I had to upgrade the electric service in my house when I had that machine. I have since sold it and purchased a 200 DX that uses like 15 Amps? 20 Amps? 110V, 220V or 3 Phase, worth every red cent! I also had to make up a 4 guage extension cord, and fasten your seatbelt for the price of the plugs for a wire that size, actually you need to use a pin and sleeve style plug, but that is mega-bucks, we are talking like generator power transfer equiptment. I used 50 Amp plugs and receptacles and never had any melt down problems, I am sure that I was operating in a safety margin that I would imagine is built into electrical equipment of that nature. Get out the plastic and buy a new machine!!! :-)

Comment

Your XMT is an inverter power supply. The 180SD has a BIG honkin' transformer in it. Time to add a 60A circuit in the shop...

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Ok I got it fixed no problems I now wired in new 8/3 wire two feet from the panel it had 10/3 with 30ft. I got the welder to specifacly tig alum parts every now and again plus I think 1880cnd with a diamondbacktorch/footremote/gasregulator and ground cable wasn't too bad for all new stuff.
            30Aspool gun
            XMT350CC/CV
            74DxFEEDER
            SYNCROWAVE 180SD
            Optrel Sat blue
            Hypertherm 1250

Comment

Originally posted by robinap
              Ok I got it fixed no problems I now wired in new 8/3 wire two feet from the panel it had 10/3 with 30ft. I got the welder to specifacly tig alum parts every now and again plus I think 1880cnd with a diamondbacktorch/footremote/gasregulator and ground cable wasn't too bad for all new stuff.
              Where did you get a deal like that!? My local Miller dealer wants $2900CAD for the 180SD.
              Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

It was in the acklands flyer, better hurry before it expires
                30Aspool gun
                XMT350CC/CV
                74DxFEEDER
                SYNCROWAVE 180SD
                Optrel Sat blue
                Hypertherm 1250

Comment

Things are pretty expensive up here but $2900 for a 180sd is to much even in the great white north. $1800-1900 is good but your going to spend $2900 then look at a 200dx because I have seen them go for that. Which may not seem like a deal but up here thats not bad.

Comment

rain252,

A Canadian dollar will get you $0.795 in US currency at today's echange rate.

Hank
                    ...from the Gadget Garage
                    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW
                    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I run my 180 sd with #6 wire and a 50 amp dual breaker. I don't have that much problem, but I rarely go over 120 amps (tubing).
                      m

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo
                        Where did you get a deal like that!? My local Miller dealer wants $2900CAD for the 180SD.
                        The runner should only be about $2100 CAD, and the base model with access. about $1900 CAD. I suggest trying another local dealer!

Comment

Originally posted by robinap
                          It was in the acklands flyer, better hurry before it expires
                          LOL that's price in the Acklands catalog... Guess they just overinflate the price by thousands, then put it on sale...which is really the regular price.

I already found a better local dealer, Praxair wants $3230 for the 200DX while as Acklands wants $4300.

Sorry to take this off topic even futher but...rain252 the cost of living in Canada varies, in Sask where I live the cost of living is quite low but then so is the salary. Haha. Well if you compare it to Alberta or BC...or Ontario then you're getting paid more, but then the cost of everything is much higher. I guess it's the same as comparing say...living in LA to say...Billings, Montana. Haha.
                          Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

Working...
                          X