No announcement yet.

Lincoln IdealArc Tig-300/300 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summary of polarity and connections-maybe you already have this but if not .....please forgive me if this is redundant...
    Connect your torch to the ELECTRODE terminal. Connect your "ground clamp" to the WORK terminal. Select DC - (not DC+) on the polarity switch (which you have done). You should now be set to tig steel. You will be operating EN (Electrode Negative, or DC straight) polarity.

Comment

In their day the washing machine sized "GREY" Lincoln IdealArc Tig-300/300 were a formidable piece of equip

I put a lot of hours on them in the 1970's

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Well, Thanks to all who responded, I've done all as instructed and can't think of anything else I am missing. I am still eating up my torch rods and eating big holes in my work. Looks like I will be loading up the whole kitten-ta-boodle and taking it down to be looked into, serviced and repaired if needed. At least it will get a good cleaning, that being said if they can't find anything wrong with the machine then it has to be me, so I'll have to go back to school, it's a long drive to Missoula.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike8623 View Post
          Well, Thanks to all who responded, I've done all as instructed and can't think of anything else I am missing. I am still eating up my torch rods and eating big holes in my work. Looks like I will be loading up the whole kitten-ta-boodle and taking it down to be looked into, serviced and repaired if needed. At least it will get a good cleaning, that being said if they can't find anything wrong with the machine then it has to be me, so I'll have to go back to school, it's a long drive to Missoula.
          Another Thought...... That this may be a magnetic amplifier machine.... if the mag amp power supply is off or fuse is blown....

the machine will output full throttle for the range it is set... so the pedal will not work... so you will be burning up tungstens and blasting holes in your work

if this is the scr version... you may have one or more blown scr's.... but it would behave the same way

We need a schematic................
          Last edited by H80N; 09-21-2016, 09:34 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Maybe you have a friend that is a little more experienced to come look at it before you pack it all up?

Comment

I appreciate all the info guys. I'm going to take it to Missoula I believe the problem is beyond my ability.

My wife and I are pretty reclusive, I don't have friends just acquaintances, works best for me. We live way up on a mountain all by ourselves, just our dogs to keep the bears out. No people just critters, we don't ask for help and do everything we can for ourselves if we can't do it we pay to have it done. We don't have a lot of money so we have to wait sometimes for quite awhile before we do something but it works for us.

Thanks again to all that responded, we all did out best, it's just beyond me and long distance problem solving, again thanks

Comment

Good luck, Mike. Sorry we couldn't get the problem resolved.

Comment

Sorry we couldnt do better in resolving your issues....

best of luck with service..... Pls keep us informed as to how it goes.....

that is a fine old machine... hope to hear that it is humming along again soon.....

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

I'll post what they find out, it won't be until November however, got to budget it in and then weather permitting, winter is pretty close up here.

Comment

Well guys an update on my machine. I finally got it over to be looked at. I had them go all through it, had it cleaned and tested. The problem turned out to be very simple. I had holes in my argon gas line and wasn't getting any shielding gas. So bottom line, I got a new line and my machine was totally went through and cleaned up. I'm now welding and a happy camper. Should last me the rest of my life and whoever I pass it down to. Thanks to all who helped me along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike8623 View Post
                        For tig welding:

Guys, I've got the above welder and have a question regarding the two cables on the machine and exactly how to bolt them on. One is larger diameter than the other and goes to a large spring clamp that is attached to my welding table, Does that cable bolt on to bolt labeled "ELECTRODE" or to the bolt labeled "TO WORK". The other cable is narrower in diameter and goes to the torch "stinger", does it bolt to the bolt labeled "ELECTRODE" or to the bolt labeled "TO WORK"?
                        Stinger & TIG torch connect to ELECTRODE....

WORK is often called GROUND

download your manual here....

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                        X