Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln IdealArc Tig-300/300 Question

For tig welding:

Guys, I've got the above welder and have a question regarding the two cables on the machine and exactly how to bolt them on. One is larger diameter than the other and goes to a large spring clamp that is attached to my welding table, Does that cable bolt on to bolt labeled "ELECTRODE" or to the bolt labeled "TO WORK". The other cable is narrower in diameter and goes to the torch "stinger", does it bolt to the bolt labeled "ELECTRODE" or to the bolt labeled "TO WORK"?
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 09-20-2016, 10:48 AM. Reason: typo

Electrode to the torch. Work to the work or in this case your table.
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
      Electrode to the torch. Work to the work or in this case your table.
      I Agree....

The "Work" terminal is sometimes called the "Ground" connection....

You may want to download the manual....here

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx

it should answer most of your hookup and operations questions...

There should be a "Code or Stock Number" on the welder data plate that will correspond to the correct manual
      Last edited by H80N; 09-20-2016, 11:31 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thanks for response Guys, I do have the original manual, however someone told me the exact opposite and I just wanted to make sure, I'm having a heck of a time with my welder and have it all set up as the manual says just can't get it to weld. It just burns up the electrodes (tungsten) and I can't get a puddle. just trying to eliminate things before I haul it somewhere for a look-see, closest place is 85 miles one way not to say having to load it up on my trailer with winter coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike8623 View Post
          Thanks for response Guys, I do have the original manual, however someone told me the exact opposite and I just wanted to make sure, I'm having a heck of a time with my welder and have it all set up as the manual says just can't get it to weld. It just burns up the electrodes (tungsten) and I can't get a puddle. just trying to eliminate things before I haul it somewhere for a look-see, closest place is 85 miles one way not to say having to load it up on my trailer with winter coming on.
          Mike

can you post the "Code Number" so we can look at the manual too...??

BTW...where are you located....??
          Last edited by H80N; 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Is it a Grey or Red Linc...??

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

The code number is 7723-c
              I am located in Lincoln, Montana on hwy 200 midway between Helena and Missoula
              The machine is one of the grey rectangle shaped ones.

Comment

The code number is 7723-c
                I am located in Lincoln, Montana on hwy 200 midway between Helena and Missoula
                The machine is one of the grey rectangle shaped ones.
                This would be your manual

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/im265.pdf

Are you sure that you are set DC Electrode Negative for steel...??

100% ARGON gas..???

switches set to REMOTE....

Pedal....???

FWIW...... IMHO..... Linc's of the "Grey Era" were their best....
                Last edited by H80N; 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

If you're burning up your electrode, probably have it hooked up EP. Tig welding is EN.

Comment

Here are my settings:

1. The pointer is set at DC- (straight)
                    2. Fine adjustment current control is set at "5"
                    3. Remote control switch is set at (remote Control)
                    4. Afterflow timer is set at (1/8)
                    5. solft start switch is set at (on)
                    6. It is set at (inert Gas welding)
                    7. Spark switch is set at (On)
                    8. Spark intensity knob is set at (5)
                    7. Current range selector is set at (Medium)

I have a foot pedal hooked up
                    I have a air cooled torch (stinger) I am not using the water hookups for the torch since it is a air cooled torch.
                    The welder is not grounded.
                    I am using 100% argon gas

What is EP and EN

Comment

What is EP and EN
                      EP is Electrode Positive + ................. EN is Electrode Negative ( -)

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Do not know your experince level

might be operator related.............low gas flow rate CFH.... or excessive arc length ....or...???

could be worthwhile to review TIG guidelines

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

Last edited by H80N; 09-20-2016, 05:28 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

Setting your machine up for tig welding EP will make you sad....all of those other settings listed notwithstanding.

Comment

Thanks to all that responded, my experience is not that great. I welded very well years ago in Gunsmith school, but haven't done any in 15 years plus. I'm just starting to get back into it.

So I assume I need EN. How do I go about that?

I'm welding small parts. Once set correctly and or fixed I plan on practicing, practicing, practicing until I get right and am ready to go. I welded really well years ago, surely it won't take as long to get back to where I was as it did back then..............I'll get it right as soon as I determine whether it is me or the machine. I'm just trying to rule out whether it is the machine first. If I have to I'll haul it down to a Company that can determine that and while they're at it they can go through it and do a service.

Comment

I'm not familiar with your machine. A lot of machines you just swap the leads around. But since you say yours has "work" and "electrode" labels on your hookups, my guess is you have a polarity selector lever of some sort. My old Helga has that. Makes sure it's set to DCEN, also called DC straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X