No announcement yet.

Airco wasp 225/200 amp parts and manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! Glad it worked. Gotta love success!

Have you you seen the threads here about setting RPM with a frequency (HZ) meter? Either a multimeter with a freq function, or a Kill-a-Watt meter from Home Depot or someplace similar. Generally these smaller welders get set for something over 60 HZ with no load-I set my Trailblazer to 62.5 HZ per guidance from Cruizer.

Comment

Yes I have I will check on a meter and get it set up soon thanks Again !

Comment

We're waiting to hear the final results.......

Comment

Bought a meter with the hertz option at depot today set the throttle at the middle position witch is for the power mode and adjusted the throttle to 62.8 63 hertz it seems to hang right around there fluctuates up a little also cleaned up some of the surface rust on the inside floor of the machine and primed and painted it .Coming together pretty good prob paint the rest of the trailer and the sheetmetal trying to find a orange to match .Any thoughts I have some chrysler orange I mite try?I am going yo try to make a new tap band for the Charging resistor since the old one rotted out also have one on order just in case from Amazon .Try to get more pics uploaded soon fun project !

Comment

You could take a panel from the welder to an auto paint supply house and have them mix the exact color if you want. Most will even put it in a spray can for a price. But it would be cheaper if you could find something close already packaged. Never worked with Airco welders so I'm not much help on likely colors.

Sounds like you you are enjoying the project-hope you get it in tip-top shape and enjoy it for a long time.

Comment

I know Ace hardware has industrial paint for metal applications. I restored an old Onan genset a couple years ago, took a box top from a fuel filter down and had them match the color, but I hate painting with all of my guts and my liver. Hate it. But it still came out nice. Sure helped when I went to sell it. Now I wish I had kept the dern thing. <br />
              <br />
              I recall the paint taking several days to full harden. I guess that's normal? I have a couple pieces of scrap laying around that I tested the paint on and it's good a hard and rugged. I'm sure any of the other paint places have the same or similar stuff. I used an HVLP spray gun I got at horrible freight.

Comment

From what I see on the net airco orange is very close to allis chalmers orange any airco folks have any input?Made a new tap band and sealed the contact points with battery terminal sealer .
                There was a sealer paint in aresol that I read on a sa 200 resto but can't find it it was for electrical parts like the armature windings some of the coating on the transformers is flaking and was wondering if I should re seal them ??

Comment

Good to hear you got the resistor tap installed-so full functionality is now restored?

Perhaps the spray sealer you're thinking of is Glyptal? Great insulation and sealing material; generally red in color. Used by lots of manufacturers on electrical and mechanical parts. Named after the General Electric company division that invented it in the mid 1920s. Trivia fact-you may have seen an old Continental engine with the words Red Seal embossed on the sheet metal covering, often around the sides of the radiator. Back when, that was a Continental trademark-they painted the inside of every engine block casting with red Glyptal, to guarantee the customer the engine interior was sealed from any possible remaining casting sand micro particles getting into the oil, and making it harder for gunk to stick and build up inside engines in the days before detergent oils. Some people still use it inside engines; others worry about it flaking off and plugging oil passages. But still great for electrical insulation.
                  Last edited by Aeronca41; 09-27-2016, 09:43 PM. Reason: Expanded info.

Comment

Thanks for that info fellas the glyptal came in today I was gonna coat the transformers with it soon got the hood prepped and painted the inside tonight looking good so far !

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Comment

So....how you gonna get that nice patina back on it?

Comment

Another 40 years of service lol ...it was pretty crusty and if it goes outside under cover that should protect it they didn't use a lot of paint no primer either paint on bare metal !i figured if it lasted this long and still ran well it was worth the investment .I bought it for $80 with 40ft of 1/0 leads that were cracked I went through 3 roles of tape fixing them if you've priced leads lately you'll know why doing it on the cheep and I dont mind fixing old American iron.
                            gonna get a tank for it paint the trailer and maybe get some decals made .Then fix that miller propane aead rig I have .Im surprised there is not more of them
                            out there they seem pretty rugged any one else have one ?
                            D

Comment

Here is a update it's pretty much done just need lights and tires thanks too all who helped . D

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X