Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubadub
    replied
    Oscar where do you have your photo sharing account if you don't mind.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    I think I can email full size photo's of the home built steel hauling trailer to someone if they would want to put them on the forum, if any body's up for it, if they are I can take more pictures now that it's completely all painted, it looks like a Zebra.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    I don't know if it is the forum photo attaching process that shrinks them, but I have no problems linking my [full-size] photos from my photosharing account, using the proper link-codes that are provided.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    After looking around for boat trailers on Craigslist and local marinas they are out there fairly cheap. You get a coupling, safety chains, lights, wheels and axle etc. I think I will be under or right about $200. on this one, although I had some steel laying around from another jig I had built. Anyway Oscar good luck on your barbecue trailer. I'll have to talk to my wife on how we can get a way to make these pictures bigger because I have at least 8 of them.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Great thread so far! Lots of progress fairly quickly, IMO. I'm dying to start on my 6' long BBQ pit and would eventually like to make a trailer for it as well. My MM211 is getting a drive motor wobble fixed, but hopefully it will be ready before the end of the week so I can work on stuff during my 1 week off for Thanksgiving break.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    Sorry they are so small. The trailer part that will hold the 20' long angle and channel iron is 17' 6'' or close to it, so that will leave a 2 1/2' over hang and that was pretty close to what I wanted. I cut up the jig I made for my 69 chevelle that is now gone to reinforce the center.

Then I went to Menards and got some heavy pipe, 10 footers cut into 8 foot and little shorter on the second one and put that inside two different sections in the middle to strengthen that up. Got two new tires from our local Pomps tire (nice guys) and bead blasted and painted the rims. Yesterday (Friday) I did a little sanding just to get some of the rust and paint off, but basically left it looking pretty rough. I picked up a quart of rusty metal rustoleum primer and a gallon of rustoleum gloss black, and some orange paint from my Hmong friend for the metal flags we made.

I wanted the trailer to be about as wide as my 2001 ford ranger and when I look out the rear view mirror I can just see the outside edge of the fender. I took it out and run it up to 75 mph and no sway or fish tail letting off the gas fast or whatever, it tracks good. I don't anticipate carrying over 500 lbs and the weight will be evenly distributed. Not sure on the tongue weight but it's fairly heavy but not to bad. The grating I bought is about 1/4'' and pretty stout, and I know that section looks kind of cobbed up but if I run into something that should keep the steel from coming into the cab, I don't think you could get a 1''x1'' angle through the holes.

I am talking to the local fire departments about getting some used fire hose, the rubber kind if they will sell it or give me some,it looks like the adjoining town will help me out. They pressure test it periodically and if it has pinholes or cracks or whatever.

I have another six pictures if some one can make these a little bigger I'll try and put them on, the way it is now there pretty worthless. So I'll spray it with a Binks #7 because I'll probably lay on my back or maybe move it up a little higher in the paint booth so I can get the bottom side. I don't like spraying under something with the hvlp cup on top but it will make my paint go a lot farther. Still have to wire it up. I plan to paint some maybe 3 inch wide white stripes over the black so somebody doesn't run into it. I'm not putting a floor on it so the fire hose on top the cross bars should let the steel ride on a cushion, anyway it beats having a steel company back up to my driveway and tilt the bed and drive out from under it, ker clang.

I got a piece of heavy mat from fleet and put some new mud flaps on it. My friend Chue needs the welding practice so I let him do all of the welding, he loves it. A couple of days ago a friend a couple of blocks away came in to get something welded and I said show it to Chue and Chue stood up to the plate and did a mighty fine job. I still have to repack the bearings but it's getting closer to put in my first order for all the trailer parts and steel, although I'm still wheeling and dealing on the steel and it looks like I'll get a good discount.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    I have a few pictures if I can get them on.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Thanks for the update; we are really anxious for the pictures. It is just great that you are so happy with the MM252, and you're pressing along with your project. I've been using both my ancient MM200 and not-so-ancient MM211 lately, and am just impressed with their quality, ease, and speed. Miller makes good stuff!

Your thorough research is time consuming-but that's obviously the best way there is to end up with a quality product. Sounds like you should have some very happy customers for your trailers. Hope you can turn a decent profit.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    A little update here. I bought a used 16' boat trailer and I'm making it in to a steel hauler, but I won't be hauling a lot of weight. I want to buy it in 20' lengths so I had to add on to the back of it, it's getting close to getting done.

I know pictures, so I'll have to get some for you guys. I have a place to buy the axles etc. and working on a place to buy the steel right, getting the right prices for good stuff like Dexter axles and what not takes some time.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I've built a few trailers, nothing to haul the 10th Mongolian hoard around or anything, but skookum enough. For the tongue, I've always used 2x3 3/16" wall tubing and that's worked well for my jobs. Fits right into the hitch coupler, no problem, plenty of meat to weld to. I'm not a fan of the single tubes for trailer tongues.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by rubadub View Post
    I started building four saw horses yesterday, good sturdy ones, picked up four magnetic torpedo levels to assure the steel doesn't twist or curl like a banana. The video of building one from Matt Kline of Red Wing Steel Works in MN is really good, I have watched it several times and I emailed him with a couple of questions and he responded right away, nice guy.

I spend a few hours each evening looking at trailers and different plans on the internet and also have taken pictures under and over new trailers getting my game plan together. It looks like 3 or 4 inch heavy channel for the tongue, 3/16 3x2 angle for the frame and possibly a few gussets in select areas. The tail lights will be recessed and led. Only Dexter axles and the good springs. I'm still up in the air on the tailgate, so many options.

Rob
    Sounds Great....

can't wait till you can post construction pics..................

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    I started building four saw horses yesterday, good sturdy ones, picked up four magnetic torpedo levels to assure the steel doesn't twist or curl like a banana. The video of building one from Matt Kline of Red Wing Steel Works in MN is really good, I have watched it several times and I emailed him with a couple of questions and he responded right away, nice guy.

I spend a few hours each evening looking at trailers and different plans on the internet and also have taken pictures under and over new trailers getting my game plan together. It looks like 3 or 4 inch heavy channel for the tongue, 3/16 3x2 angle for the frame and possibly a few gussets in select areas. The tail lights will be recessed and led. Only Dexter axles and the good springs. I'm still up in the air on the tailgate, so many options.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    Not to repeat myself but this welder is something else, it just lays the weld out so nice and with excellent penetration. I had no idea it was this good.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    I think I do, I had a certified mig welder friend spend a couple hours for three weekends with my friend Chue and I mainly teaching him. I'm pricing out steel right now, about ready to build maybe a 5 x 10 or 6 x 12 utility trailer.

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X