Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeronca41
    replied
    ...and growing up in Western PA with a dad who was a welder, I can still remember looking at the nice welds on Tee Nee trailers, Bob. Some were probably yours-unless I'm too old. :-)

​​​​
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 09-11-2016, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I welded axles in my dads trailer factory for 8 years with an old model MM200. If I was going to start over today it would be a MM252. Just my thoughts...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    There are guys here with far more mig production experience than I, and I'm sure they will chime in. My two cents worth: At a minimum, you need a 230 volt input machine; do not try to do this on the cheap with a 120 v input welder and have the regrets later. Next issue is duty cycle. The MM211 will do the job, but at only 40% duty cycle-you can only weld 4 minutes out of every 10. If you aren't in a full production mode, that may be adequate for you. Next step up is the 212, with 60% duty cycle at 160 amps, then the 252, with 60% at 200 amps. Will you have a shop to work in? Mig is not good for outdoors when there is wind to blow your shielding gas away. If you have to work outside, flux core wire will work but is more expensive. If outdoors, have you considered a stick welder? What is your level of experience? Most of us would not recommend that a newbie to welding start out building trailers with mig. The process requires some degree of skill and experience to ensure proper penetration, and thus adequate strength for a trailer. It is possible to make absolutely beautiful welds with mig that will break when the trailer hits the first good bump, because the great looking weld is lying on top of the metal rather than penetrating through it. That issue pretty much goes away with a stick welder-if you are getting good-looking welds, the process is such that they will likely also be strong. And it is relatively easy to pick up a used MillerThunderbolt or Hobart Stickmate for much much less money than a mig machine will cost. Give us some more info on your experience level and working conditions.

You might also want to consider the New Multimatic 215, which will give you both mig and stick for just a little more than the 211, at comparable duty cycle. You can later add accessories and do DC tig if you want.

Lots of options and things to consider.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    Probably a bunch of them, and thank you for answering right away.

Rob Milks
    Two Rivers Wi,
    74 years old and still going.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Are you building a single trailer or many?

Leave a comment:

• what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Working...
X