Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to use the 252 for the first time yesterday, it practically welds by itself. I got a friend to come over and show us how to weld, he's a certified welder at the local Manitowoc Crane Company. He's a really good welder. We got some practice pieces for horizontal and vertical welds. It puts out a lot of wire and it just lays right in, were looking at penetration etc.

I'll have the teacher back again to get us up to speed. We didn't use it that much maybe like 3 hours, but it was 2inch long welds so nothing steady. Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.

So back at it again tomorrow, more practice welding.

I had no idea how good this machine would weld, to say I like it is the under statement, it's an awesome machine.

Thanks again men for helping me out.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rubadub View Post
      Got to use the 252 for the first time yesterday, it practically welds by itself. I got a friend to come over and show us how to weld, he's a certified welder at the local Manitowoc Crane Company. He's a really good welder. We got some practice pieces for horizontal and vertical welds. It puts out a lot of wire and it just lays right in, were looking at penetration etc.

I'll have the teacher back again to get us up to speed. We didn't use it that much maybe like 3 hours, but it was 2inch long welds so nothing steady. Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.

So back at it again tomorrow, more practice welding.

I had no idea how good this machine would weld, to say I like it is the under statement, it's an awesome machine.

Thanks again men for helping me out.

Rob
      Very COOL.............. Enjoy

Now that you have your MM252 in hand.... the resources section will make much more sense

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.
        One of the two trigger wires came off and they are touching each other. I have seen it a hundred times...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Rob

aside from welding heavy structures... like trailers....

just watch the magic you can do in old car restoration if you load that MM252 with .023 and start repairing & replacing panels......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
            Rob

aside from welding heavy structures... like trailers....

just watch the magic you can do in old car restoration if you load that MM252 with .023 and start repairing & replacing panels......
            Esp with a smaller gun like the M-15 or M150...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

RubaDub....

do you have a handle on operating that MM252 yet..??

trailer progress..........??

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I think I do, I had a certified mig welder friend spend a couple hours for three weekends with my friend Chue and I mainly teaching him. I'm pricing out steel right now, about ready to build maybe a 5 x 10 or 6 x 12 utility trailer.

Rob

Comment

Not to repeat myself but this welder is something else, it just lays the weld out so nice and with excellent penetration. I had no idea it was this good.

Rob

Comment

I started building four saw horses yesterday, good sturdy ones, picked up four magnetic torpedo levels to assure the steel doesn't twist or curl like a banana. The video of building one from Matt Kline of Red Wing Steel Works in MN is really good, I have watched it several times and I emailed him with a couple of questions and he responded right away, nice guy.

I spend a few hours each evening looking at trailers and different plans on the internet and also have taken pictures under and over new trailers getting my game plan together. It looks like 3 or 4 inch heavy channel for the tongue, 3/16 3x2 angle for the frame and possibly a few gussets in select areas. The tail lights will be recessed and led. Only Dexter axles and the good springs. I'm still up in the air on the tailgate, so many options.

Rob

Comment

I started building four saw horses yesterday, good sturdy ones, picked up four magnetic torpedo levels to assure the steel doesn't twist or curl like a banana. The video of building one from Matt Kline of Red Wing Steel Works in MN is really good, I have watched it several times and I emailed him with a couple of questions and he responded right away, nice guy.

I spend a few hours each evening looking at trailers and different plans on the internet and also have taken pictures under and over new trailers getting my game plan together. It looks like 3 or 4 inch heavy channel for the tongue, 3/16 3x2 angle for the frame and possibly a few gussets in select areas. The tail lights will be recessed and led. Only Dexter axles and the good springs. I'm still up in the air on the tailgate, so many options.

Rob
                      Sounds Great....

can't wait till you can post construction pics..................

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

I've built a few trailers, nothing to haul the 10th Mongolian hoard around or anything, but skookum enough. For the tongue, I've always used 2x3 3/16" wall tubing and that's worked well for my jobs. Fits right into the hitch coupler, no problem, plenty of meat to weld to. I'm not a fan of the single tubes for trailer tongues.

Comment

A little update here. I bought a used 16' boat trailer and I'm making it in to a steel hauler, but I won't be hauling a lot of weight. I want to buy it in 20' lengths so I had to add on to the back of it, it's getting close to getting done.

I know pictures, so I'll have to get some for you guys. I have a place to buy the axles etc. and working on a place to buy the steel right, getting the right prices for good stuff like Dexter axles and what not takes some time.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for the update; we are really anxious for the pictures. It is just great that you are so happy with the MM252, and you're pressing along with your project. I've been using both my ancient MM200 and not-so-ancient MM211 lately, and am just impressed with their quality, ease, and speed. Miller makes good stuff!

Your thorough research is time consuming-but that's obviously the best way there is to end up with a quality product. Sounds like you should have some very happy customers for your trailers. Hope you can turn a decent profit.

Comment

I have a few pictures if I can get them on.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X