Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H80N
    replied
    RubaDub....

do you have a handle on operating that MM252 yet..??

trailer progress..........??

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Rob

aside from welding heavy structures... like trailers....

just watch the magic you can do in old car restoration if you load that MM252 with .023 and start repairing & replacing panels......
    Esp with a smaller gun like the M-15 or M150...Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Rob

aside from welding heavy structures... like trailers....

just watch the magic you can do in old car restoration if you load that MM252 with .023 and start repairing & replacing panels......

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by rubadub View Post
    Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.
    One of the two trigger wires came off and they are touching each other. I have seen it a hundred times...Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Got to use the 252 for the first time yesterday, it practically welds by itself. I got a friend to come over and show us how to weld, he's a certified welder at the local Manitowoc Crane Company. He's a really good welder. We got some practice pieces for horizontal and vertical welds. It puts out a lot of wire and it just lays right in, were looking at penetration etc.

I'll have the teacher back again to get us up to speed. We didn't use it that much maybe like 3 hours, but it was 2inch long welds so nothing steady. Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.

So back at it again tomorrow, more practice welding.

I had no idea how good this machine would weld, to say I like it is the under statement, it's an awesome machine.

Thanks again men for helping me out.

Rob
    Very COOL.............. Enjoy

Now that you have your MM252 in hand.... the resources section will make much more sense

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    Got to use the 252 for the first time yesterday, it practically welds by itself. I got a friend to come over and show us how to weld, he's a certified welder at the local Manitowoc Crane Company. He's a really good welder. We got some practice pieces for horizontal and vertical welds. It puts out a lot of wire and it just lays right in, were looking at penetration etc.

I'll have the teacher back again to get us up to speed. We didn't use it that much maybe like 3 hours, but it was 2inch long welds so nothing steady. Then the welder decided to feed out wire with out pulling the trigger, called the hot line and they had me do a couple things over the phone then told me to get a new gun and cord from the local dealer, of which I did under full warranty.

So back at it again tomorrow, more practice welding.

I had no idea how good this machine would weld, to say I like it is the under statement, it's an awesome machine.

Thanks again men for helping me out.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Oldgrandad
    replied
    Great choice of machines. At my shop we've put together several fork lift carriers on the back of 45' trailers. The basket for the fork lift is made of 4"x8" 1/2 wall steel tube sub frame. The first 2 we made we used ER70S6 solid wire and 75/25 mix gas, now we use ultra core 71A85 with pure CO 2. Gets way better penetration.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    A great choice! Congrats on the new addition.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I pulled the pin this afternoon on the miller 252, a big tank of co2 Argon, I bought the tank. Another pair of welding gloves and a new welding hat for my Hmong friend. Some .035 tips. They gave me a break at Airgas in Manitowoc, nice guys to deal with.
    +1...Good for you..................

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Excellent choice. Why don't you bring that machine down to my shop and we'll park it right next to my old MM250 and see how much nicer the new one welds compared to this old beast. <br />
    <br />
    We'll cook up some brats, have a few beers....but you'll have to bring the cheese curds, that's a unicorn down this way.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    I pulled the pin this afternoon on the miller 252, a big tank of co2 Argon, I bought the tank. Another pair of welding gloves and a new welding hat for my Hmong friend. Some .035 tips. They gave me a break at Airgas in Manitowoc, nice guys to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• rubadub
    replied
    Thank you men all good stuff, I forgot about this local guy he welds everyday manufacturing cranes he welds 3/16 up into the really big stuff and he knows the mig, he's also a family friend, at 74 years old sometimes I forget. He said he would be glad to teach my friend the ropes, and as for you guys I'm like a sponge absorbing your information, please keep it up.

With the expert welder we need to put the time in welding and see how he does with the student, I'm also thinking about adding some gussets on the frame, axles, tongue and spring areas just in case I also will have the expert inspect the back sides of the welds for penetration if that is possible.

Thanks again men for taking the time to help me out.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Jody makes great videos. I wonder what machine he was using in that video. By the looks of that distinctively harsh short circuit MIG arc, I'd guess a MM250. When I got mine I was told that it has a very harsh arc, much more so than others, and they were right. But it loves to spray transfer though. I know Jody has used a MM250 in some of his videos before. I bet the newer 250-whatever-they-are models have a much nicer arc on short circuit.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Millermatic 252 Intro & Set Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqPz6mgJ4nk

Mig Welding Techniques Short Arc and Spray ... Quick Overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1gvHf0H6w

Last edited by H80N; 09-11-2016, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    One of my pet peeves is when someone says MIG welding is easy. <br />
    <br />
    A close second is when it's said that you should not MIG weld because it's too hard to get penetration. <br />
    <br />
    Is it possible to discourage someone looking at getting into welding any more than that?<br />
    <br />
    About the only process where even an ugly weld can get good penetration is the tig process. <br />
    <br />
    All of these are providing for equipment, metal prep and at least a mild level of knowledge, even if that means you watched some YouTube videos and stayed in a holiday inn express last night. <br />
    <br />
    Stick welding is not the only process that can get good penetration welds and it's certainly not fool proof. <br />
    <br />
    Rob, you have been given some sound advice and it appears you are ready to make a move on the 252. Excellent choice. By the way, my whole family is up your way. Spread out from Madison to Lacrosse. I love it up there. Hope to make it to the pond hockey tournament in eagle river this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X