Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size miller mig should I buy to make some heavy duty 3500 lb axle type trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Would go with the biggest you can afford ,starting with the 212 .You can dial down power ,you can't dial it up if you don't have it.

Comment

Wow thanks men, all good information. Here's a little on me. I have a Millermatic 135 with a co2 argon tank that I can weld pretty good with. I worked with a old welder back in 1960 for about a year and a half with acetylene/oxygen welding and cutting and bending so I have a little bit of knowledge, but I am not sure on what to get. I have a 50 year old Hmong friend two blocks away that can speak some English and I have had him do a little welding on the one I have but he doesn't have a clue on penetration. I had a miller sidekick years ago that I did a lot of bodywork with but I think I'm at the right place to get some answers thanks to you guys.

I have talked to one pretty good welder and I contacted the local senior center for a builder about 15 years back and the older gentlemen helped me through the start of building a garage. So perhaps there might be a welder that could teach my friend how to weld, and I agree with you guys on a stick welder but it might be a long process to teach him how to weld. I would really like to get the new millermatic 252. I know it will take some time but besides my welding I was a tool and die maker and I like to fabricate metal here and there for home projects. I have my own home grown web site 1969supersport.com

I have two 30' x 50' garages the one has a overhead natural gas furnace and lit up like a hospital super insulated with a paint booth in it, so I'm geared up to work in Northeast Wisconsin weather, I'm just old and don't want to do that much welding.

The two issues I have is how long will it take to get my buddy up to speed to understand weld penetration and will the 252 be the one to go with him doing the welding, and that would be a co2/argon tank or whatever you men think I should get.

Thanks again men, looking forward to any guidance you will share with me.

Rob

Comment

The MM252 would be an excellent choice

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m00218

The MIG resources section should help your friend get started quickly and on the correct footing

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...ding-resources

BTW.... Nice Website....................

http://1969supersport.com/

Welcome Aboard...............
        Last edited by H80N; 09-11-2016, 12:24 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Ryan, I will try to take a picture of the weld I am talking about.

H80N, coming from a newbie like me, trust me, you guys should not just answer the OP's specific question. But look deeper into what he is planning to weld, etc. And I know you guys are doing that. Rob, you probably know more than me, but as a newbie, I often find out when I am looking for answers that I am asking the wrong question.

Comment

Learning curve depends on the person ,some people catch on right away some people never get it.Most common gas for mig is 75%argon 25% co2.

Comment

RubaDub.............

I took the liberty of posting a link to your website on the Motorsports forum

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...storation-site

GREAT INFO....!!!!!...............

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

One of my pet peeves is when someone says MIG welding is easy. <br />
                <br />
                A close second is when it's said that you should not MIG weld because it's too hard to get penetration. <br />
                <br />
                Is it possible to discourage someone looking at getting into welding any more than that?<br />
                <br />
                About the only process where even an ugly weld can get good penetration is the tig process. <br />
                <br />
                All of these are providing for equipment, metal prep and at least a mild level of knowledge, even if that means you watched some YouTube videos and stayed in a holiday inn express last night. <br />
                <br />
                Stick welding is not the only process that can get good penetration welds and it's certainly not fool proof. <br />
                <br />
                Rob, you have been given some sound advice and it appears you are ready to make a move on the 252. Excellent choice. By the way, my whole family is up your way. Spread out from Madison to Lacrosse. I love it up there. Hope to make it to the pond hockey tournament in eagle river this year.

Comment

Millermatic 252 Intro & Set Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqPz6mgJ4nk

Mig Welding Techniques Short Arc and Spray ... Quick Overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1gvHf0H6w

Last edited by H80N; 09-11-2016, 04:12 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Jody makes great videos. I wonder what machine he was using in that video. By the looks of that distinctively harsh short circuit MIG arc, I'd guess a MM250. When I got mine I was told that it has a very harsh arc, much more so than others, and they were right. But it loves to spray transfer though. I know Jody has used a MM250 in some of his videos before. I bet the newer 250-whatever-they-are models have a much nicer arc on short circuit.

Comment

Thank you men all good stuff, I forgot about this local guy he welds everyday manufacturing cranes he welds 3/16 up into the really big stuff and he knows the mig, he's also a family friend, at 74 years old sometimes I forget. He said he would be glad to teach my friend the ropes, and as for you guys I'm like a sponge absorbing your information, please keep it up.

With the expert welder we need to put the time in welding and see how he does with the student, I'm also thinking about adding some gussets on the frame, axles, tongue and spring areas just in case I also will have the expert inspect the back sides of the welds for penetration if that is possible.

Thanks again men for taking the time to help me out.

Rob

Comment

I pulled the pin this afternoon on the miller 252, a big tank of co2 Argon, I bought the tank. Another pair of welding gloves and a new welding hat for my Hmong friend. Some .035 tips. They gave me a break at Airgas in Manitowoc, nice guys to deal with.

Comment

Excellent choice. Why don't you bring that machine down to my shop and we'll park it right next to my old MM250 and see how much nicer the new one welds compared to this old beast. <br />
                          <br />
                          We'll cook up some brats, have a few beers....but you'll have to bring the cheese curds, that's a unicorn down this way.

Comment

Originally posted by rubadub View Post
                            I pulled the pin this afternoon on the miller 252, a big tank of co2 Argon, I bought the tank. Another pair of welding gloves and a new welding hat for my Hmong friend. Some .035 tips. They gave me a break at Airgas in Manitowoc, nice guys to deal with.
                            +1...Good for you..................

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

A great choice! Congrats on the new addition.

Comment

Great choice of machines. At my shop we've put together several fork lift carriers on the back of 45' trailers. The basket for the fork lift is made of 4"x8" 1/2 wall steel tube sub frame. The first 2 we made we used ER70S6 solid wire and 75/25 mix gas, now we use ultra core 71A85 with pure CO 2. Gets way better penetration.

Comment

Working...
                                X