No announcement yet.

Will steel ball bearings explode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting kinda elaborate aint we boys...???....

is this the part with the wheelchair pushed by the buxom blonde nurse....??.....
    Last edited by H80N; 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Now we're talkin!

Comment

I have seen larger balls that had a crust come off where the part was welded on. The crust seemed to be about an 1/8" deep...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

And i do make big balls from mild steel, SS or alum should the need arise. The big one pictured is 3" the small one is just over an 1" and ready to break off the rod..Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Oh yeeeah, put a patch on. That will get em'.

Hollow, maybe. Trapped air tends to expand when the metal around it gets hot as so the air heats up and expands and finds its way out through this nice puddle of metal your looking at, had welds blow out onto my hood and my arms like that and occasionally explode a hole in something but never heard of solid steel exploding like a full on explosion type deal where nothing remains.

Nice sculpture.
            if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

I suspect the way the idea originiated is because ball bearings are usually hardened, and when high-carbon steel is hardened (by heating it to critical temperature and then quenching it) it can become almost as hard as glass --– a file won't bite into it –-- and if that hardened steel is not then tempered (which softens it some) it can crack or even break apart somewhat violently due to internal stresses left from the quenching.

All that said, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you weld ball bearings, because they're not "glass" hard ... they have already been tempered back some. If it really worries you, you can "normalize" (soften by tempering) the ball bearings first by heating them until they're orange, and then cooling them very slowly...one way is to bury them in dry wood ashes when they're still hot and letting them cool over a period of hours.
              Last edited by Helios; 09-10-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Well there is some truth in ball bearings exploding.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWySdXedUiY
                2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
                1- Blue star 185
                1- BOBCAT 250
                1- TRAILBLAZER 302
                1- MILLER DVI
                2- PASSPORT PLUS
                1- DYNASTY 200 DX
                1- DYNASTY 280 DX
                1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
                1- HF-251 BOX
                1- S-74D
                1- S-75DXA
                2- 12-RC SUITCASES
                1- 8-VS SUITCASE
                2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                  Well there is some truth in ball bearings exploding.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWySdXedUiY
                  Yes..... BUT.... can the press convert it to diamond like Superman did to the lump of coal..???....

OR.... are you just trying to bust ballz..........
                  Last edited by H80N; 09-24-2016, 07:14 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I love da hoodraulic press channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      I love da hoodraulic press channel.
                      Gotta have a press to love a press ...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                      X