Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt hands
    replied
    My take on the subject of warranties is from my own experience with my local welding distributor.

Please excuse if I have posted this previously.

Bought my Dynasty 350 on 3 April 2008

Miller Dynasty 350
    Serial Number: LH 480 241 L (pre-Blue Lightning)

Distributor: GTS – Conshocken, PA – Earl Kirbyson
    Software number: 224545 D

Displayed “HELP 31” message.
    Arc time: 12 hours 47 minutes
    Cycles: 3400

Brought it to Power Source who fixed it under warranty.
    I now have 345 hours 57 min and 131419 Cycles (arc starts.)

No worries about the Miller Dynasty but I would like to offer my experience
    with Earl and GTS - (now Praxair) regarding my Hypertherm PMX 1000 plasma cutter.

I bought a Hypertherm 1000 at an Open House at Earl's GTS as it was too good a deal to pass up.
    It sat in my garage for about 18 months until I had a job which needed lots of pieces of 1/4" stainless cut.
    (Most people can't wait to try out a new piece of equipment but I didn't have an air compressor when I bought my plasma
    cutter.)
    So I bought a 220 volt compressor and hooked it up to the the Hypertherm 1000.
    No luck - tried everything but still no go.
    Kicked myself many times for not testing it sooner as it was out of warranty - my fault completely.
    2 months later at the next GTS Open House, I mentioned my trouble to Earl who said "talk to Pat".
    Pat was the regional manager for Hypertherm and was at GTS when I bought the unit.
    Pat listened to me and then said "Let me make a call".
    About 15 minutes later, Pat came back and said, "Bring it to Power Source and they will fix it"
    Told Pat it was out of warranty and my fault for not testing it sooner.
    "Not to worry" was his reply and true to his word, it was repaired at no cost to me.

A warranty is only as good as the company behind it and the local support.

PS - I had been looking into a Dynasty 210 as I needed a 120 volt TIG unit for some small jobs where 240 was not
    available.
    Found one on ebay for a good price and was tempted to buy it.
    Then at the December 2015 GTS Open House, I showed the ebay price and they matched it.
    I now have dueling Dynastys.

Trust your local welding distributor.

I'm only a bozo hobby welder but I will go back to this company as long as I can weld.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Personally, Miller for the most part in static garage machines (Plug in) are far superior to Lincoln. Lincoln does make better engine driven welders. And industrial static machine both tend to copy one another...

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Nice try...BUT....

value... price.... and warranty claims have ZERO meaning if we are not looking at comparable machines

The current Miller lineup is more advanced than your Lincoln 225 ,,,,so a comparison is not possible...........

And while that cutesy pie chart is colorful.... it has nothing to do with your question... so don't try to blow smoke up our dress..

You came here with preconceived notions having made your choice and purchase....

Good Luck to you

I have owned and operated dozens of different brands/models of welding machines since I learned to weld in 1968

For me............. I am very happy with my Miller machines... and yes they cost a little more...
    but well worth the value-per-dollar for me..
    Last edited by H80N; 09-03-2016, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FrancisJ
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post

Think you are comparing apples to oranges.... which Miller TIG do you think is comparable....??

there are some discontinued models that compare... but all current Miller models in that range are more capable

I don't like departing from the subj of this thread (warranties) as we can spend years discussing comparable machines (e.g. Syncrowave class for example) , but all I would point out is Miller (Illinois Tool Works parent -- stock symbol ITW) makes roughly double profit on its welders compared to Lincoln Electric (stock symbol LECO). In the case of TIG's, Miller makes an average profit of 31.5% vice Lincoln's 14.8% which translates into value going either away from or to the consumer (me.) The Lincoln warranty accounts for a good portion of this value going to ME vice ITW investors.

Lincoln is a much bigger company (almost twice the market share of Miller) and seems to be doing a better job of addressing value for the consumer vis a vis its comprehensive, long duration warranties.

Last edited by FrancisJ; 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I have the precision tig 225. It's ok. Mine doesn't have the pulse stuff, but I don't like pulse on aluminum, I just use the foot pedal to pulse. <br />
    <br />
    As far as the comparable Miller machine, I have no idea what that would be. <br />
    <br />
    The precision tig 225 is a pretty basic machine and doesn't have all the fancy schmancy adjustability of the AC arc like other machines. It's big and heavy and will probably be around forever....at least if they're still big transformer machines like mine. For all I know the new ones are itty bitty inverters.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I used a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 for 2 years. The foot peddle was like a cigar box full of rocks and you could never take the arc down with it. The maint man in the shop replaced it with a Miller foot peddle and what a difference...Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by FrancisJ View Post
    Opted for the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 -- approx $1000 less than the Miller equivalent. Has the AC Balance and Pulse stuff I need for aluminum. Plus for an extra $271 they're covering the machine bumper to bumper for five years -- amazing warranty.

Warranties truly matter these days (with all the circuit card failures we're seeing in these newer machines).
    Think you are comparing apples to oranges.... which Miller TIG do you think is comparable....??

there are some discontinued models that compare... but all current Miller models in that range are more capable
    Last edited by H80N; 09-02-2016, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FrancisJ
    replied
    Opted for the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 -- approx $1000 less than the Miller equivalent. Has the AC Balance and Pulse stuff I need for aluminum. Plus for an extra $271 they're covering the machine bumper to bumper for five years -- amazing warranty.

Warranties truly matter these days (with all the circuit card failures we're seeing in these newer machines).

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    Piece of mind for an extra 2yrs. I've seen Dynastys just out of warranty scrapped because of overpriced boards drove them to buy a new unit to get a warranty.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
    And you can extend the 3yr warranty to 5yr for a reasonable price.
    About 10% of the MSRP.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
    Since June 2015. All models prices vary...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Just buy whatever flavor you feel better with. Use it and find all the sweet spots and be happy. Most important just get out there and weld...Bob

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by FrancisJ View Post
    so it comes down to warranties.
    Exactly. You said it. It comes down to warranties. Buy the lincoln. By your logic, this thread shouldn't even exist. Nothing to discuss. Your mind was already made up. You had already decided that the final break-point had to do with the "warranty coverage". Look at the title that you gave to this this thread. You already know what to do.
    Last edited by OscarJr; 08-28-2016, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Geez FrancisJ.... have you posted that on the Lincolm forum...???

What they don't have one.....???....................

Whole lot more to look at besides splitting hairs on the fine points of the warranty

the welders.. for instance.............

So what do they have to compare to the Miller Dynasty series TIG's...???

besides the "Aspect 375".................. which is only a 250 amp machine on single phase...??

Kinda disappointing...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-28-2016, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X