Lincoln's Warranty now beats Miller's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln's Warranty now beats Miller's

I'm considering a new TIG and when you look at the whole machine, Miller's warranty is very selective (in bold below) , only covering certain items. Lincoln's, on the other hand, appears to cover the entire machine for 3 years (in bold below).

Miller:
    5 Years Parts — 3 Years Labor
    * Original Main Power Rectifiers Only to Include SCRs, Diodes, and Discrete Rectifier Modules
    3 Years — Parts and Labor * Auto-Darkening Helmet Lenses (Except Classic Series) (No Labor) * Engine Driven Welder/Generators (NOTE: Engines are Warranted Separately by the Engine Manufacturer.) * Inverter Power Sources (Unless Otherwise Stated) * Plasma Arc Cutting Power Sources * Process Controllers * Semi-Automatic and Automatic Wire Feeders * Transformer/Rectifier Power Sources
    2 Years — Parts and Labor * Auto-Darkening Helmet Lenses − Classic Series Only (No Labor) * Fume Extractors − Capture 5, Filtair 400 and Industrial Collector Series
    1 Year — Parts and Labor Unless Specified * Automatic Motion Devices * CoolBelt and CoolBand Blower Unit (No Labor) * Desiccant Air Dryer System * External Monitoring Equipment and Sensors * Field Options (NOTE: Field options are covered for the remaining warranty period of the product they are installed in, or for a minimum of one year — whichever is greater.) * RFCS Foot Controls (Except RFCS-RJ45) * Fume Extractors − Filtair 130, MWX and SWX Series * HF Units * ICE/XT Plasma Cutting Torches (No Labor) * Induction Heating Power Sources, Coolers (NOTE: Digital Recorders are Warranted Separately by the Manufacturer.) * LiveArc Welding Performance Management System * Load Banks * Motor-Driven Guns (except Spoolmate Spoolguns) * PAPR Blower Unit (No Labor) * Positioners and Controllers * Racks * Running Gear/Trailers * Spot Welders * Subarc Wire Drive Assemblies * Water Coolant Systems * TIG Torches (No Labor) * Wireless Remote Foot/Hand Controls and Receivers * Work Stations/Weld Tables (No Labor)

Lincoln:
    Lincoln will assume both the parts and labor expense of correcting defects during the warranty period. All warranty periods start from the date of purchase from a Lincoln Authorized Distributor or Lincoln Authorized Service Facility to the original end user or from the date of manufacture if proof of purchase is not available and are as follows:
    7 Years • Main power rectifiers on Idealarc® non-inverter type welders
    3 Years • All Lincoln welding machines, wirefeeders & plasma cutting machines • Viking™ auto darkening helmets 1840, 2450 & 3350 Series
    2 Years • Viking™ auto darkening helmets 1740 Series & 4x5 passive helmets
    1 Year • All water coolers (internal or external models) • All gas flow regulators • All stick electrode, welding wire and flux (Contact your local Lincoln Sales Representative) • Arc welding and cutting robots and robotic controllers • All Weld Fume Control equipment, including portable units, central units, fire suppression and accessories (Does not include consumable items listed under 30 day warranty.) • All welding and cutting accessories including wire feed modules, undercarriages, field installed options that are sold separately, unattached options, welding supplies, standard accessory sets and Magnum® products (Does not include expendable parts and guns/torches listed under 90 and 30 day warranties) • All Pro-Torch™ TIG torches • All plasma cutting torches • All purchased non-expendable replacement parts • Magnum® 250LX Spool Gun • Push-Pull Guns • VRTEX® 360 and VRTEX® Mobile • Viking™ PAPR Blower Unit • Magnetic hand lifters • RealWeld® • Arc welding, cutting, and material handling robots, robotic controllers, and related options
    90 Days • All Lincoln gun and cable assemblies and the Magnum® SG spool guns
    30 Days • All consumable items that may be used with the Weld Fume Control systems described above. This includes hoses, filters, belts and hose adapters. • All Software • Expendable Parts - Lincoln is not responsible for the replacement of any expendable part that is required due to normal wear.

Good for you. Buy the Lincoln.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I own an older ESAB Tig and trying to decide between the Miller and Lincoln TIGs................already have two Miller welders (CST 280 --- stick and DC Tig) and the MillerMatic 211 --- both OUTSTANDING. Also have an older Lincoln PRO 175 MIG --- also outstanding...............so it comes down to warranties.

Comment

Geez FrancisJ.... have you posted that on the Lincolm forum...???

What they don't have one.....???....................

Whole lot more to look at besides splitting hairs on the fine points of the warranty

the welders.. for instance.............

So what do they have to compare to the Miller Dynasty series TIG's...???

besides the "Aspect 375".................. which is only a 250 amp machine on single phase...??

Kinda disappointing...
        Last edited by H80N; 08-28-2016, 12:41 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by FrancisJ View Post
          so it comes down to warranties.
          Exactly. You said it. It comes down to warranties. Buy the lincoln. By your logic, this thread shouldn't even exist. Nothing to discuss. Your mind was already made up. You had already decided that the final break-point had to do with the "warranty coverage". Look at the title that you gave to this this thread. You already know what to do.
          Last edited by OscarJr; 08-28-2016, 04:09 PM.
          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Just buy whatever flavor you feel better with. Use it and find all the sweet spots and be happy. Most important just get out there and weld...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

And you can extend the 3yr warranty to 5yr for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
                Since June 2015. All models prices vary...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
                  About 10% of the MSRP.
                  Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                  3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                  Miller Dynasty200DX
                  ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                  MillerMatic350P
                  MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                  MKCobraMig260
                  Lincoln SP-170T
                  Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                  Hypertherm 1250
                  Hypertherm 800
                  PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                  Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                  SiberHegner CNC Mill
                  2 ea. Bridgeport
                  LeBlond 15" Lathe
                  Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                  Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                  6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Piece of mind for an extra 2yrs. I've seen Dynastys just out of warranty scrapped because of overpriced boards drove them to buy a new unit to get a warranty.

Comment

Opted for the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 -- approx $1000 less than the Miller equivalent. Has the AC Balance and Pulse stuff I need for aluminum. Plus for an extra $271 they're covering the machine bumper to bumper for five years -- amazing warranty.

Warranties truly matter these days (with all the circuit card failures we're seeing in these newer machines).

Comment

Originally posted by FrancisJ View Post
                        Opted for the Lincoln Precision TIG 225 -- approx $1000 less than the Miller equivalent. Has the AC Balance and Pulse stuff I need for aluminum. Plus for an extra $271 they're covering the machine bumper to bumper for five years -- amazing warranty.

Warranties truly matter these days (with all the circuit card failures we're seeing in these newer machines).
                        Think you are comparing apples to oranges.... which Miller TIG do you think is comparable....??

there are some discontinued models that compare... but all current Miller models in that range are more capable
                        Last edited by H80N; 09-02-2016, 12:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I used a Lincoln Precision TIG 225 for 2 years. The foot peddle was like a cigar box full of rocks and you could never take the arc down with it. The maint man in the shop replaced it with a Miller foot peddle and what a difference...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

I have the precision tig 225. It's ok. Mine doesn't have the pulse stuff, but I don't like pulse on aluminum, I just use the foot pedal to pulse. <br />
                            <br />
                            As far as the comparable Miller machine, I have no idea what that would be. <br />
                            <br />
                            The precision tig 225 is a pretty basic machine and doesn't have all the fancy schmancy adjustability of the AC arc like other machines. It's big and heavy and will probably be around forever....at least if they're still big transformer machines like mine. For all I know the new ones are itty bitty inverters.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Think you are comparing apples to oranges.... which Miller TIG do you think is comparable....??

there are some discontinued models that compare... but all current Miller models in that range are more capable

I don't like departing from the subj of this thread (warranties) as we can spend years discussing comparable machines (e.g. Syncrowave class for example) , but all I would point out is Miller (Illinois Tool Works parent -- stock symbol ITW) makes roughly double profit on its welders compared to Lincoln Electric (stock symbol LECO). In the case of TIG's, Miller makes an average profit of 31.5% vice Lincoln's 14.8% which translates into value going either away from or to the consumer (me.) The Lincoln warranty accounts for a good portion of this value going to ME vice ITW investors.

Lincoln is a much bigger company (almost twice the market share of Miller) and seems to be doing a better job of addressing value for the consumer vis a vis its comprehensive, long duration warranties.

Last edited by FrancisJ; 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X