Airco Heli-welder cross to Miller - this doesn't match anything i've seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airco Heli-welder cross to Miller - this doesn't match anything i've seen

I just picked up this welder from an auction, and it looks like the thousands of 330A/BP Millers, and i can see it has HF, but NO mode switch like they all seem to have. In short, it doesn't look like the 320/330 controls I've ever seen. Is anyone familiar with this model?

Did they ever make a AC only TIG or DC only TIG? Why would anyone spend the money to buy a welder like this and cripple it for one process or another?

See below:

Does seem strange. You need to find a manual. Due to its age, you likely will not get a hit from the "SUPPORT", Manuals and Parts link below if you search by serial number. Maybe if you get the specific name/model from the machine you can use the other search function. If not, just call Miller-they can probably email a manual to you. 920-735-4356

Comment

Originally posted by 86turbodsl View Post
      Why would anyone spend the money to buy a welder like this and cripple it for one process or another?

Well a few of us have been wondering the same thing from current models. No AC on a few models...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Well i finally picked up. Model number is 2ADT24HPA/B-D. Serial is G127836. It clearly is labeled A.C. Heliwelder So, AC only. Where would i add the diode bridge, After the transformer and before the HF coupler? I can see the panels were all off, they've been loosely put back on to take to auction. I'm assuming the HF is out. Probably the caps. I have a Miller HF15 that had the same problem. I guess i can't complain too much, my total cost of this thing was $47.

I've got more pics i'll add later.

Comment

I would of brought it home also...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Yep-the diodes would go off of the transformer secondary and before the HFcoupler. You can look at schematics for other similar welders. But you will need more than diodes. Don't forget the little equalizing capacitors. Also, as an AC-only machine, I doubt it has an output reactor, which you will need to stabilize the arc on DC. The interesting thing will be what you use for a polarity switch unless you just make up a patch panel and some jumpers. If you could find another $47 machine that had the polarity switch you'd be set.

Comment

I continue to be totally impressed with Miller. Heard back from them already. 1958 build. Rough equivalent is 201P Tig welder. They said to look at the syncrowave 250. They don't have much on it at all.

Although looking at 201P images on google, there's nothing even close.
              Last edited by 86turbodsl; 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                Yep-the diodes would go off of the transformer secondary and before the HFcoupler. You can look at schematics for other similar welders. But you will need more than diodes. Don't forget the little equalizing capacitors. Also, as an AC-only machine, I doubt it has an output reactor, which you will need to stabilize the arc on DC. The interesting thing will be what you use for a polarity switch unless you just make up a patch panel and some jumpers. If you could find another $47 machine that had the polarity switch you'd be set.
                Probably the way to go here is find a 330apb getting scrapped and just grab the parts i need. Or, just sell this one and get a 330.

Comment

Where are you located? I posted the eBay link to the Airco / Miller 330 in Southern Maine for $100, in case someone needed parts.

Good Luck.
                  Stefen.
                  Last edited by Stefen7; 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I'm in central Michigan. I do have a buddy in Maine, but not sure where. I'll ask him.

I don't see the ebay link anywhere. Was it recent?
                    Last edited by 86turbodsl; 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Page 2 of this forum, "Miller 330 / Airco Heliwelder for $100......" That unit keeps coming up in my eBay searches. I have watched the price drop over several months. It's advertised as $150 OBO, but they'd probably take $100 now. The case is damaged (photos on ad), but the ad says it works, so there may be enough parts to get yours running.

It's at a business selling used equipment in Lebanon, a small town at the very southern tip of Maine. Between Sanford Maine and Rochester NH. I was thinking of it myself, but it is over 600 miles from me.

Hope something works out for you.
                      Stefen.

Comment

Yeah, it's at least 600 for me too. I can't justify it. Only thing i would be missing is probably the switch. I have 275A diodes already. I do need to be able to do steel tig. I'd been planning to add a MikeW SCR chopper to my dialarc, but this thing presented itself and i took a chance. I do think it needs repairs on HF though. Why else would the panels all be loose?

Comment

This might be closer to you guys its a bit more money but not more than a 600 mile trip.
                          http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...G-Welder-Works
                          ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Might have taken it apart to blow it out. I have a 1975 model airco 2A or B or whatever Helga is. Mine has all the good parts though. I had to get in to the back of the panel where the power comes in to repair a power lug, had to take all the dadgum panels off to get my hand in there to tighten one nut. So I can see plenty of reason for the panels to be lose. It's not exactly hard to get the panels off, just time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                              This might be closer to you guys its a bit more money but not more than a 600 mile trip.
                              http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...G-Welder-Works
                              Yeah, that's real close. Like 30 miles. Wow. i might have to investigate that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X