Another Multimatic 215 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Multimatic 215 Question

I recently bought a Multimatic 215 and like it so far. I saw in a recent discussion that Miller says that 6010 rods are not recommended for it. I also noticed that the owner's manual only lists DC electrode POSITIVE as the only choice for stick welding. This leads to two questions: 1) If 6010 is a DC rod (DCEP if I am not mistaken), why is 6010 not recommended for this machine? 2) why is DCEN not listed as an option for stick welding in the manual? The lead connectors will fit either terminal. Will it hurt the machine somehow? (OK, I admit that was three questions)

The tech didn't say why, but that it "generally" wasn't suited for it. He did also say that it could be made to work depending on operator skill. I have a feeling that it won't have enough OCV or running voltage (likely the issue for stick welders that are not primarily stick welders, or very small amperage DC stick welders) for un-steady hands, but in the hands of an experienced welder who can keep a consistent arc length it could be made to work. But with that wording, it pretty much says that it is unreliable with 6010s, unless you have awesomely perfect welding conditions. That is likely the reason it won't run 6010 all that well, but 6011 will---6011, IIRC, has a different flux composition that allows it to be ran at a lower voltage. Who knows, maybe Miller's interpretation of "run well" is much higher than ours and it might even run satisfactorily to our (my) lower standards! Get some 6010 and try it out. If you don't wanna spend on the box to find out, I can send you some if you cover freight. But you have to post a video .

I have a feeling it doesn't list DCEN as an option simply because most DC rods are meant to be run on DCEP.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Is there any particular reason you want to run DCEN with stick welding? There probably is some process where that would be required, but that's beyond me. <br />
      <br />
      I don't have your machine, but I do have a small inverter machine, maxstar 150 STH, and I also can't remember if I was running the 6010 or 6011 a while back building some hog pen panels, but it was one of those two for sure, and they ran pretty darn good. <br />
      <br />
      Just give it a try and see what happens.

Comment

Don't forget this is a machine that only has been out for a month or so. Try it out and let us know...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

I run E6010 5P+ with my machine. I turn off the auto set feature and put the stinger in the - side and the ground on the + side this allows the E6010 5P+ to produce a decent weld. I also run E6011. The 6011 runs good with electrode + and ground on the - side. I run both rods within the recommended amperage setting from the manufacturer.
          Last edited by Jonny S; 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I tried running some 6010 5P+ on my maxstar 150 the other day...not good. 6011 runs just fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny S View Post
              I run E6010 5P+ with my machine. I turn off the auto set feature and put the stinger in the - side and the ground on the + side this allows the E6010 5P+ to produce a good weld. I also run E6011. The 6011 runs good with electrode + and ground on the - side. I run both rods within the recommended amperage setting from the manufacturer.
              6010 is a reverse polarity (electrode positive) rod. Not sure if you are getting good welds running it EN as you note. I've never tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                6010 is a reverse polarity (electrode positive) rod. Not sure if you are getting good welds running it EN as you note. I've never tried it.
                The rod I am using is Fleetweld 5P+ the literature shows it can run on DC reverse or straight. You are 100% right E6010 is a reverse polarity rod from what I was taught... I wonder if it effects the penetration of the weld or if the 5P+ is made to run on either I need to read up further. If I run the 5P+ reverse polarity I need to run the voltage on the high side and maintain a very tight arc or it goes out. I'm curious if it effects the weld quality. If I find the time I'll weld up a t joint with the 5P+ straight polarity and cut it to check for penetration and weld a T joint with E6011 DC reverse to compare it to.
                Last edited by Jonny S; 07-18-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Great comparison test. Anxious to see the results. Did not know they listed that rod for EN. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X