Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remember to close the gas tank when done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bls repair
    replied
    If forget my wife tells me to zip up

Leave a comment:

• Oldgrandad
    replied
    I never shut my off, I made sure the flow meter didn't leak. Now forgetting to shut off the purge at the end of the day is a different story but that only happens about once a year. lol

Leave a comment:

• bcjm
    replied
    The welding store store near me is dominating the local market. There is no competitor. They charge pretty much whatever they like.

I agree that having a check list is good, only if I remember to check the check list.

I am worried I am going to forget closing my acetylene/oxygen tanks next time.
    Last edited by bcjm; 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by bcjm View Post
    I got the gas this morning. It costs me $68 for a 80cf tank. not cheap!!
    WOW. I don't sell 80 cu ft of anything that's close to 68 bucks. $29.00 is about the worst price...Bob

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    Seriously? Anything along these lines. Thanks for the post H80N.

"Geez....... this question is like.... how do you remember to zip your fly when done.....??.................... "

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    Anyone who has been in the military, trained to be a pilot, or similar complex task can answer this with one word:
    “check-list.”

Loooong time ago my Air Cadet flight instructor said something along these lines:

“Check-List: a method of turning a complex procedure into a series of simple tasks; which is promptly forgotten or ignored, causing the operator to screw up ridiculously simple tasks.”

Leave a comment:

• bcjm
    replied
    I got the gas this morning. It costs me $68 for a 80cf tank. not cheap!!

I think hanging the hood on the tank is a good idea. Another idea is set the timer on my cell phone to alarm me in an hour when I start. Repeat the time if I did not finish in an hour. The worst case is one hour if I forget.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    After running out of gas on a weekend your supposed to work to finish a project and have to drive to another building to borrow their bottle or just running out in general and having to get a new one when you are trying to wrap up a job, do it enough times and you remember. I don't leave the room without turning my gas off and yes, I do forget to turn it back on occasionally.

There is no "way" to remember, its like H80N's reply, zip it up when its done. When I slap in my bottle I hook everything up, turn it on, pressure builds in the regulator and then I shut it. Then I can see if I tightened everything right and if there are any leaks, by the time I am all dressed up and my work is all ready to go, I either look at the gauge and think I am all good and start welding to realize 5 seconds later I am an idiot and turn the gas on or I notice the pressure dropped significantly and start looking for the leak.

Its one of those habits you just gotta develop.

Leave a comment:

• duaneb55
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Geez....... this question is like.... how do you remember to zip your fly when done.....??....................
    When I feel a draft.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    Yet one more advantage to stick welding....

Although the used stick welder I just bought has arc burns on the case, because someone kept forgetting to turn off the machine before coiling up the leads. One problem or another....

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    H80N, you do have a way with words......

i "just remember" and turn the valve off even if I just stop for lunch. A habit I developed as a kid with OA.

now, please don't ask me if I've ever forgotten to turn it back on after lunch......
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-21-2016, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Geez....... this question is like.... how do you remember to zip your fly when done.....??....................
    Last edited by H80N; 08-21-2016, 09:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    How do you know, Bob?
    Because I have done it lots over the last 39 years...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    How do you know, Bob?

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    And remember to open the valve before you push the trigger. Ask me I know too...Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X