Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remember to close the gas tank when done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After running out of gas on a weekend your supposed to work to finish a project and have to drive to another building to borrow their bottle or just running out in general and having to get a new one when you are trying to wrap up a job, do it enough times and you remember. I don't leave the room without turning my gas off and yes, I do forget to turn it back on occasionally.

There is no "way" to remember, its like H80N's reply, zip it up when its done. When I slap in my bottle I hook everything up, turn it on, pressure builds in the regulator and then I shut it. Then I can see if I tightened everything right and if there are any leaks, by the time I am all dressed up and my work is all ready to go, I either look at the gauge and think I am all good and start welding to realize 5 seconds later I am an idiot and turn the gas on or I notice the pressure dropped significantly and start looking for the leak.

Its one of those habits you just gotta develop.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

I got the gas this morning. It costs me $68 for a 80cf tank. not cheap!!

I think hanging the hood on the tank is a good idea. Another idea is set the timer on my cell phone to alarm me in an hour when I start. Repeat the time if I did not finish in an hour. The worst case is one hour if I forget.

Comment

Anyone who has been in the military, trained to be a pilot, or similar complex task can answer this with one word:
        “check-list.”

Loooong time ago my Air Cadet flight instructor said something along these lines:

“Check-List: a method of turning a complex procedure into a series of simple tasks; which is promptly forgotten or ignored, causing the operator to screw up ridiculously simple tasks.”

Comment

Seriously? Anything along these lines. Thanks for the post H80N.

"Geez....... this question is like.... how do you remember to zip your fly when done.....??.................... "
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by bcjm View Post
            I got the gas this morning. It costs me $68 for a 80cf tank. not cheap!!
            WOW. I don't sell 80 cu ft of anything that's close to 68 bucks. $29.00 is about the worst price...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

The welding store store near me is dominating the local market. There is no competitor. They charge pretty much whatever they like.

I agree that having a check list is good, only if I remember to check the check list.

I am worried I am going to forget closing my acetylene/oxygen tanks next time.
              Last edited by bcjm; 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I never shut my off, I made sure the flow meter didn't leak. Now forgetting to shut off the purge at the end of the day is a different story but that only happens about once a year. lol

Comment

If forget my wife tells me to zip up

Comment

Working...
                  X