• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    "Officially Unsynthesized" <br />
    <br />
    ....or something like that was printed on their album covers.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

Yea I've listened to some of the DIre Straits stuff, very meticulous clean picking/plucking. It is surely the envy of many guitarists out there. I still remember first hearing Sultans of Swing on the "classic rock" radio station sometime in the 80s, was totally blown away at the time. And this thread has officially gone off track, lol.
    Most folks are unaware of how much he has really done... it is a pretty broad an large body of work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler

BTW... not totally off track... music and welding share a lot... in style..rhythm and energy..........

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    ...but what cool stuff we learn when we go off track!

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    We all have our own personal preferences................................

But you might take some time to listen to Knopfler... the studio work... not the live stuff
    Yea I've listened to some of the DIre Straits stuff, very meticulous clean picking/plucking. It is surely the envy of many guitarists out there. I still remember first hearing Sultans of Swing on the "classic rock" radio station sometime in the 80s, was totally blown away at the time. And this thread has officially gone off track, lol.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied

I am lucky... my father was a genius and probably the best audio engineer of the 50's and 60's......
    he invented and designed many things in the field that are still considered the gold standard....
    including the "Fairchild 670"
    That is so cool and great. About the only invention my family was good at was trailer hitches and boat trailers...Bob

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    H80N, that is just amazing history! Thank you for posting. Your dad must have been quite a guy-that's real cutting edge stuff that moved the industry.
    Yes he was..... kinda digressed from the topic though...

anyway... these were factors that colored my views of recorded music.............

Thus... I really like Knopfler because of his meticulous attention to detail in both his playing and studio mastering
    Last edited by H80N; 08-23-2016, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    H80N, that is just amazing history! Thank you for posting. Your dad must have been quite a guy-that's real cutting edge stuff that moved the industry.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    That is pretty **** awesome.
    I am lucky... my father was a genius and probably the best audio engineer of the 50's and 60's......
    he invented and designed many things in the field that are still considered the gold standard....
    including the "Fairchild 670"

http://www.mixonline.com/news/news-p...limiter/377967

we lost him a few years ago but his legacy goes on

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/mcknig...l-console.html

he was a brilliant guy and a great dad..... who taught and exposed me to so much
    Last edited by H80N; 08-23-2016, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That is pretty **** awesome.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    Oh and he even has his own Sharpie marker. Made specifically for him, by Sharpie. How cool is that when signing autographs
    I sure do not begrudge you your choices..... our outlooks differ..... I am a little older... was raised in recording studios and audio labs...
    back when all that tube stuff was new............
    As a child..ln the 50's. it was not uncommon for Les Paul to show up at our door bearing pizza and beer .... wanting to pick my dad's brain on some recording problem....you see.... My dad designed and built the first 8 track recording console for Les in the middle of our living room...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-23-2016, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Oh and he even has his own Sharpie marker. Made specifically for him, by Sharpie. How cool is that when signing autographs

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    We all have our own personal preferences................................

But you might take some time to listen to Knopfler... the studio work... not the live stuff
    Last edited by H80N; 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Mark Knopfler's guitar work is unparalelled
    I beg to differ. Kneel before the king. The one person Guitar World refers to as "his royal Highness"...the very first artist to have a Fender Signature Series guitar, even before Clapton, true pioneer of a genre....

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    I listen to music, got the Beats wireless, Bluetooth head phones a few weeks ago, been using them ever since, every day, every time I weld. Sound cancelling the outside and some seriously nice sound. That does it for me, can barely hear the buzz on AC.
    Try some Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler.......... Clapton...... Cars...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQUoBCxNCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJl...NJlmnqxZUQ#t=7

Mark Knopfler's guitar work is unparalelled & the studio work is soooo clean and sharp....

the noise floor is so many DB Down.... as to be undetectable............
    Last edited by H80N; 08-23-2016, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    I never notice any noise, be it welder, water cooler, air tools, dogs barking, car crashes nearby, etc. Only thing I hear is this..

Could it have something to do with it? lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X