Clear All

• knied1
    replied
    actually looking for one already

Leave a comment:

• duaneb55
    replied
    Not a bad deal at all.

Now you can keep the other eye open for a 115VAC wire feeder and have a complete package.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    That was just an amazing deal! The kind we all look for but seldom find.

Leave a comment:

• knied1
    replied
    yea.....so I guess $150 isn't a bad buy

Leave a comment:

• duaneb55
    replied
    Sweet!

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Outstanding! Free fixes are even better than cheap ones! Not often you fix something by tossing parts out, but it does happen on occasion. Glad you got it going. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• knied1
    replied
    OK you guys Friggen rock

I checked the contactor again and yes it was wired correctly..... but since you were positive it was the problem, I took the small panel off of the front of it.....there was a screw that was in there crossing the poles....I took the screw out and the machine runs perfect.

Makes no sense on how it got there, but its fixed now.

Thanks again to all for your help and input

Was getting a little worried that I over paid for the machine even though I low balled him since I was not able to test it

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    If you measure pole to pole at the on/off switch do you get 220-240 volts?

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Originally posted by knied1 View Post
    actually the part numbers are from miller..... I was able to cross reference the Airco model number to the Miller
    the parts list, and wiring diagrams are from the miller manual
    but do match the wiring diagram on the machine
    That's good. All the Miller numbers I'm familiar with have 6 digits; learned something here.

You can look up Miller parts at Miller4less.com-prices are not really cheap but generally lower than buying right from Miller. However, I would guess it would be to your (price) advantage to check locally.

Leave a comment:

• knied1
    replied
    actually the part numbers are from miller..... I was able to cross reference the Airco model number to the Miller
    the parts list, and wiring diagrams are from the miller manual
    but do match the wiring diagram on the machine

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    and then next question is
    the spare parts list show Cutler Hammer and Furnas part numbers, but I am not able to find these parts online by their part numbers
    Cutler Hammer 34-665 and Furnas 34-740. see attached.

Does anyone know where I can cross reference these to a newer part number?
    Those are not Furnas and C-H, but rather Airco part numbers, which is why you can't find them online. There may also be some cross ref method to get back to the 6-digit Miller numbers from those, but I have no idea if that's true or what it might be. Someone else here may know. You could try calling Miller if you find you need it, but I'm not sure if they will have the info-they are superb on Miller info, but not sure if they have any of the old Airco stuff. But, as I said in the previous post, you should have no trouble finding a contactor locally.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Luckily all of the wires both in the welder and in the gun still had their contact numbers on them.....so I was able to check the wiring, and yes it is all connected correctly.

when checking contactor "w" should I simply be checking for continuity, and that there is none?
    Correct. With the welder unplugged, check for continuity across each of the two pairs of contacts. Should be an open circuit-no continuity. Even though the welder is unplugged, be sure the power switch is off because it looks like you might get a reading back through the the coils of the transformer if it's on; no need to add a confusion factor. Depending on the design of the W contactor, you may be able to see if the contacts are stuck, but the continuity check is best. If it's bad, see if there is a vendor part number on the contactor, or mark connections well, pull it out, and take it to a local electrical supply house - they should be able to find a match. Take your wiring diagram along.

Leave a comment:

• knied1
    replied
    and then next question is
    the spare parts list show Cutler Hammer and Furnas part numbers, but I am not able to find these parts online by their part numbers
    Cutler Hammer 34-665 and Furnas 34-740. see attached.

Does anyone know where I can cross reference these to a newer part number?

Leave a comment:

• knied1
    replied
    Luckily all of the wires both in the welder and in the gun still had their contact numbers on them.....so I was able to check the wiring, and yes it is all connected correctly.

when checking contactor "w" should I simply be checking for continuity, and that there is none?

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Agree that disconnecting any of the listed wires would stop the motor, but the question is why is there power to those wires when there shouldn't be? What you're dealing with there is treating the effect, not the cause. The problem is very very likely somewhere else-contactor W or something feeding it has to be the problem. W is the only possible source of power with the welder off, as Duane said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X