DialArc Vs Syncrowave 250 vs Dynasty 280 DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DialArc Vs Syncrowave 250 vs Dynasty 280 DX

Last week I wrote to this board about my old Dialarc 250 that had a welding problem. And thanks to Cruzier and others , once parts are here it should be back up and running once again........bought it New in 1986 and learned to TIG and Weld Aluminum with it.& along the way Built several race cars and lots of other things........ Being Old School I really never looked beyond my old Blue machines capabilities as it always served me quite well and when you have nothing different to compare it with you just deal with what ya got...........

Once fixed I'm kicking around buying a more modern machine.......one that is a Square wave vs a Sine wave , one that is not quite as power hungry as what I have now (although I have 100 amps in the panel) one that has more Arc & balance control and also one that can also weld aluminum much better than what I have dealt with the past 30 years..........I hardy do any stick welding anymore as I have a 211 here also.

Most of my welding is Chro-Mo and mild steel and need to weld up to 1/4" quite often...........due to the irregularities of AC welding aluminum with the Dialarc I don't do much but would like to expand upon that with a more modern machine.

So educate me on the Dialarc vs the Syncrowave vs the Dynasty 280 DX. Of course do to the fact that the Dialarc has served me well for the past 30 years I do not want nor need a new machine that is hard on parts or spends allot of time in the repair shop..........So hopefully some folks will chime in with real world welding experience with either of these machines....

I am also somewhat concerned with having to use a larger sized water cooled torch on the Dynasty as opposed to the WP-20 on the Dialarc and Syncrowave. Also your opinion on the Remote Pedal's Good or Bad?

Question: Is the New Syncrowave 250 a Transformer or Inverter type machine.........and how is it's reliability ? Same question for the Dynasty 280 DX.
    I am looking at these two machines do to the fact they both will weld up to 3/8" material.

Thanks for your responses .

Seriously.....get the 280 Dynasty
    Take from me, I'm old school.
    Buying the Synchrowave would be "somewhat" like buying a machine on the way out. They are great robust machine and would serve you many years. No disputing this fact.
    But.....
    Once you take the leap into the new technology, you'll wonder what the heck you were waiting for.
    You have enough questions that I'm not going to answer them all.
    Let me put it like this....Imagine putting the Dialarc in the front passenger seat of your new 2016 F-350 and going to do a job. Never gonna happen.
    You can do this with the 280 Dynasty. Not the Synchrowave. Not to mention it will weld circles around the other two. I could literally sling the 280 over my back and stick my thumb out beside the road and go to work.
    Dialarc is a corded phone. Synchrowave is a flip phone (all be it a "cell phone") very capable with many features. Dynasty 280 is the smartphone for todays technology in welders. It is several generations in now, so it has many bugs worked out. It has tons of features if you can work the software.
    The only synchrowave I would buy would be a used Bargain.
    This is my opinion. I could own any welding machine I want. We have 4 Dynasties in use at the moment.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
      Seriously.....get the 280 Dynasty
      Take from me, I'm old school.
      Buying the Synchrowave would be "somewhat" like buying a machine on the way out. They are great robust machine and would serve you many years. No disputing this fact.
      But.....
      Once you take the leap into the new technology, you'll wonder what the heck you were waiting for.
      You have enough questions that I'm not going to answer them all.
      Let me put it like this....Imagine putting the Dialarc in the front passenger seat of your new 2016 F-350 and going to do a job. Never gonna happen.
      You can do this with the 280 Dynasty. Not the Synchrowave. Not to mention it will weld circles around the other two. I could literally sling the 280 over my back and stick my thumb out beside the road and go to work.
      Dialarc is a corded phone. Synchrowave is a flip phone (all be it a "cell phone") very capable with many features. Dynasty 280 is the smartphone for todays technology in welders. It is several generations in now, so it has many bugs worked out. It has tons of features if you can work the software.
      The only synchrowave I would buy would be a used Bargain.
      This is my opinion. I could own any welding machine I want. We have 4 Dynasties in use at the moment.
      REALLY WELL PUT....!!!

Here is an old sticky thread on the Dynasty series well worth reading

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ocesses-set-up

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I'm old school to the bone and I love my sync 250 but I agree completely FusionKing the dynasty is the right choice. The power requirements alone make it a great machine. It welds aluminum on less than have the juice required for the syncro and lays down some great beads. In my kids shop he runs both I'm still partial to my syncro but I'm stubborn. His dynasty is going strong after 2 years with no problems.

Comment

Thanks Guys for the responses....................Fusion ......you wrote: "It has tons of features if you can work the software" Just how hard is it to teach an Old Dog New Tricks? ..........I mean I can learn and all ............but playing with the machine for months while learning how to use it is not what I had in mind............Can I not just use the "Pro Set" feature and then tweak from there when some advanced programming needs may be required?

I have a feeling that after welding most of my welding life with the Dialarc ( Land Line ) that anything that comes out of the Dynasty 280 DX will properly put a big grin on my face.............

So what about Noise on the Dynasty...............ear plugs ? or comparable to the Dialarc? I mean the Dialarc and the Bernard cooler are in no way quiet.........

And the remote Pedal...........is that a maintenance nightmare or worth the extra $$$ ............I've been dragging around the old Miller RFC-23a for years so I'm OK with the lines if the remote is an issue?

Torch size...........I love the WP-20 sized torch........Having never used anything larger do you think that is an issue and will all the old gas lenses components work or do I have to start over?

Comment

In case you haven't seen it, and want to be awed by beautiful work, check out Fusionking's website:

http://www.outbackaluminumwelding.com

Comment

Aero..........Nice website lots of aluminum sparks and shavings there...........any bargains out there on the Dynasty 280's?

Comment

Unfortunately the 280 does not appear to be included in the Build With Blue rebate program this year, only the 210. Just have to determine what accessories you already have and whether you want to buy the Miller contractor kit or assemble your own. I haven't priced them but generally look through Cyberweld, Baker's Gas, weldingduppliesfromioc, etc as comparisons then go to the local welding store. For all the complaints about the company in general, Airgas locally came within $30 of the best online price I could find when I bought my Dynasty 200DX, and have treated me well. I would much rather buy local than on line if possible, and I did.

Comment

Thanks Aero, ..............and as far as accessories...........I think the factory kit looks pretty good to me but I'm old school and have never used any of these products before like the Coolmate 1.3 and the Weldcraft W-280 torch? Unless you folks know something to the contrary that is better or these are no good I would like to hear a response?

I did do some research on the Supplied W-280 torch and it seems the size is very close to the old WP-20 that I'm used to so that is OK. Yes parts are different but nothing I can do about that.................If any of you have a favorite flex handle torch , I'm all ears.

Unanswered questions from above:

* So what about the Noise on the Dynasty...............I keep hearing complaints? Is this ear plug type noise ? Or is the Water cooler noisy? or just the the ARC process?.....or comparable to my old Dialarc? I mean the Dialarc and the Bernard cooler are in no way quiet.........at least no one walks up and get surprised by whether I'm welding or not!

* And the remote Pedal...........is that a maintenance nightmare or worth the extra $$$ ............I've been dragging around the old Miller RFC-23a for years so I'm OK with the lines if the remote is an issue?

What say you?

Comment

To much loud for to many years, my ears ring 24/7, so earplugs for me when welding aluminum regardless of the machine, arc noise is horrible, the machine itself not so bad. I've always had corded foot pedals so no judgement there.

Comment

I do not find the Dynasty machines very noisy... and I love the pedal (RFCS-14)

some folks swear by the wireless pedal.... I have not tried it

here is a video you might like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeA2onoVhh0

Here are some other Dyn 280 vids

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=dynasty+280

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have the Dynasty 200DX machine with a Coolmate 3 torch cooler..
                        The Coolmate 3 makes the noise, the Dynasty does not make any, aside for the low fan hum.
                        I also have the remote foot pedal and would not be without one of these.
                        Slide it around anywhere you want to move it and pick it up when welding is finished and set it on the shelf. No wires to bother with!

For the torch I use the WP20 water cooled torch.
                        When I am welding aluminum below 100 amps I really do not need the water cooling.
                        But if I am welding above 125 amps I DO NEED the cooling, and a Tig Finger to go with it.
                        Buy the Dynasty 280DX and you will never regret it!
                        pg
                        Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
                        Coolmate 3
                        MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
                        HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
                        Victor O/A Rig
                        Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
                        10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
                        Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
                        Baldor 10 inch Buffer
                        Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
                        Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
                        Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
                        Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
                        Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

pinion...........Thanks ..............and nice cart I like that!

Comment

One guy's opinion--Piniongear is the cart master-I think that is the nicest cart I've seen! I'm still drawing, planning, thinking to adapt his design to my situation. There's a lot of thinking behind that work of art.

Comment

Yes , lots of thinking in that little beauty.......parts storage on the shelf and a tray up top for whatever, pretty much has all the bases covered. Although for me my 250 CFM Argon bottle may not fit or be top heavy.........But I like it just the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X