Please Help Identify Old Miller 'Arc Spot' Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Identify Old Miller 'Arc Spot' Welder

Saw this ad today. Owner does not know any info except it needs 240 volts. These are the only photos. It looks like a really old Thunderbolt-type unit, except larger. Any idea what it might be before I make the drive out to look at it? Thank you.

Looks like a model 61F from the 50s. AC only, should be bulletproof. Here's a link to a restoration project.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...er-Restoration

I didn't get any hits on a manual for it but my guess is if you call Miller they may be able to e-mail one to you. Great people to work with there. 920 735 4356 is their literature dept.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 08-09-2016, 04:40 AM. Reason: Add info.

Comment

Thank you Aeronca41 for the information and link. It looked like it was AC only, and I wanted to confirm that before making the drive. It's funny how someone over a 1000 miles away, only looking at a tiny photo of a dirty machine, can provide more info than the person who owns it.

As for the restoration link, WOW! I'd love to have it just to save an interesting piece of machinery from the scrap pile. If only I had the time and space....
      Last edited by Stefen7; 08-15-2016, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I'm with you! Love to see the top-quality old stuff brought back to use. The vast improvements in today's machines come at the cost of complexity that results in obsolescence and failure rate that means none of them will be working, or possible to restore, 60 or 70 years later like these old tanks. This one looks like lot of effort for an AC-only machine from a restoration viewpoint. But would be a very cool project! Among my list of more welders than any reasonable person needs are an ancient Hobart engine drive and a MM200 both of which I got with hope of restoration. They work fine, just need tweaking, cleaning and painting. But even in retirement there never seems to be time.

I keep waiting for news from ryanjones2150 on this forum for progress on Helga; check this link

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...to-me-airco-3a

Comment

I know about Helga after he kidded me about 'dreaming of Helga's sister' in a previous thread. That is the machine I really want. But they are rare, expensive to restore to function properly, and most of all, very heavy making transport over long distances very difficult or expensive. But a guy can dream....

As for this one, I emailed the seller for the price. If he is reasonable, I'll pick it up just to have stick capability while looking for a big AC-DC unit.

Ironically there is a big AC-DC square-wave TIG unit for sale close to me that has enough power and every feature I could possibly need. But it is an Airco made by ESAB that ESAB no longer supports. It is filled with electronics, designed so if any single part fails, the entire unit is junk. Unlike Helga that is twice as old, repairable, and will still be running decades from now. And they call it progress....

Comment

Thank you to Aeronca41 for identifying it, and the folks at Miller for forwarding me the manual.

I was surprised to see the significant size difference between it and the Thunderbolt or Lincoln AC-225 buzz boxes. Both Lincoln and Thunderbolt have 225 amp max, and 20% duty cycle at 225 amps. This Miller has 180 amp max, and 20% duty cycle at 180 amps. So lower maximum amps, and no advantage on duty cycle, but a HUGE difference in weight. Lincoln AC-225 is 110 lbs, and considered 'built like a tank', similar for the T-bolt. This Miller weighs 250 pounds, 140 lbs MORE than the Lincoln or Thunderbolt. So much for being able to carry it up the stairs into my house like a similar capacity Buzz-Box. I was looking for an easily move-able stick welder to use until I build my garage next year and get a big Dial-Arc type unit.

Still waiting for seller to get back to me with a price. Thanks again to all who helped.

Comment

Working...
            X