Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snoeproe
    replied
    I've tig welded cast iron several times with good results. I used certanium cast iron rod. Most recently I tig welded some cast iron bases/floor mounts for restaurant tables. They turned out well.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    And take your time with it. Let the cleaning action work for you, then flow in your braze filler metal. <br />
    <br />
    Aluminum bronze has more stretch and I think it's a bit stronger, especially for the cast iron repairs.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    With aluminum bronze I'd use AC.
    I agree..... for some applications using using Al-Bronze or Sil-Bronze....

it is helpful to TIG on AC-HF..... to help "JIGGLE" the puddle and float impurities.....

AC is not just reserved for Aluminum welding......

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Yeah, If your doing any aluminum type stuff, you should use AC, otherwise it will be tricky to beat the oxide layer.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    With aluminum bronze I'd use AC.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    I used stainless for a drill press base, more flex before breaking than regular steel, not sure how the silica bronze works for flex but my drill press is still holding up.

I set it to DC, some people prefer AC.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Is this some sort of hard to find part? <br />
    <br />
    But in general, I'd steer clear of tig welding anything cast iron. You can tig braze it. Without tempting you to try to repair this pulley though, I would suggest aluminum bronze as opposed to the silicon bronze on cast iron in a braze only. <br />
    <br />
    However, I know of a guy that did an O&A braze repair on a pulley for his lathe. He over built the part then turned it back down. Still holding as far as I know. <br />
    <br />
    But why not just replace it?

Leave a comment:

• MAKINGSPARKS
    replied
    5" power steering

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Pulley I wouldn't touch it. It could come apart. What size pulley?...Bob

Leave a comment:

• MAKINGSPARKS
    started a topic Tiging cast iron

Tiging cast iron

tig welding a crack in a web of cast iron pulley with silcon brass ,how do I set machine ? Lots experience tiging aluminum and steel first time for cast
    Thanks
Working...
X