Titanium to Stainless ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium to Stainless ?

Im thinking its not possible, but i was wondering if i can tack tig weld some stainless to titanium for an art project im thinking about ?
    Has anyone tried this before and had success ? I only have enough parts for the project so i cant really experiment. It will be just some tack welds about 1/8" diameter, not an actual weld bead. If it might be possible, which filler should i use, stainless or titanium ? Im guessing a huge cup, lots of gas flow, long post flow...

Thanks guys.
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Originally posted by FABMAN View Post
    Im thinking its not possible, but i was wondering if i can tack tig weld some stainless to titanium for an art project im thinking about ?
    Has anyone tried this before and had success ? I only have enough parts for the project so i cant really experiment. It will be just some tack welds about 1/8" diameter, not an actual weld bead. If it might be possible, which filler should i use, stainless or titanium ? Im guessing a huge cup, lots of gas flow, long post flow...

Thanks guys.
    As a practical matter...it looks like a no....

Here is an old thread on it

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ed-to-titanium

and an article

http://www.jwri.osaka-u.ac.jp/public...pdf/412-02.pdf

Would stainless rivets work on your sculpture......??
    Last edited by H80N; 07-23-2016, 08:20 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

If they are only small tack welds, not carrying much load or stress, brazing could be a better choice.

Welding requires both base metals and the filler metal to be compatible, plus the problem of gas shielding for both stainless and titanium to prevent contamination from creating an ugly mess. Brazing does not have the compatibility or contamination problems.

Check out 'Aladdin-3-in-1' and other products that can solder or low-temperature braze practically any metal, including dissimilar base metals.

If the parts are small enough, you can use a simple propane-air torch, vs O/A. National (www.NationalTorch.com) makes a nice, inexpensive, small propane / compressed air torch perfect for that type of work.

Good luck.

Comment

Your initial thinking is indeed correct. Look into brazing if you must "join" them.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Might look into an epoxy of some sort...brazing on this project might get the small parts too hot...I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks
          Syncrowave® 200
          Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
          Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Comment

Working...
          X