No announcement yet.

Honest answers requested on Welder Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have stayed out of this fray and watched it unfold, if aluminum is part of the equation as a defanant, forget the 175 and buy a mm210. I consider the mm210 a base model if aluminum is in the plans.

Peace,

Comment

I havnt found the 10 ft gun cable to be much of a issue. These machines are so portable on a cart and work great with extension cords that you can move them right up to the work. Running 030 they pull about 15 amps, maybe a touch more wide open as you can go so even with long number 10 cords there isnt any power issues. I think its one of the great advantages of the 230V units over the 120, by nature of dedicated outlets and cords it keeps them from being plugged in to places they really shouldnt be. I keep a 65 ft cord on mine so I can reach an outlet anywhere, most of the time use the one dedicated for it, but even out in the middle of the shop floor it leaves room to manuver.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
        <snip>The Passport really rocks on 25 gauge up to 1/4" with .030" wire<snip>
        Can you compare performance of the Passport on 22ga-20ga MS using .030 wire and CO2 to the performance of one of the following 115V machines: HH135, HH140, SP135+, or MM135 (I listed these because I have either owned or used them) using C25 and .023 wire. I have used the passport on 1/8" & 3/16" with .030 wire and CO2 so I know how that works. I am thinking that sometime after I upgrade to the STH I might like to start thinking of replacing my HH140 with a passport if its thin performance is as good as one the above machines.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Sundown,

I am glad you've brought this subject up again because I failed to mention the 25 gauge performance was using external C25. I can tell you that with either inductance setting (crisp for steel wire-soft for SS wire) the machine will place a good solid tack weld without burning through. It will also run stingers without burn through. To me that is very impressive for a non-pulsed mig machine.

The Lincoln SP 135 is probably my favorite of the machines you listed and will not hold a candle to the Passport when running .030" wire. I almost always ran .023" wire when welding 18 gauge and thinner on 120 VAC mig machine other than the Passport

Comment

Sundown,

I fabricated some templates from .125" SS 304 to use a a guide for my plasma torch. It is a unique project for a great client so I did not want to free hand the cut.

I was in the shop and used my Dynasty 300DX with pulse and fusion welded all the butt joints. I used a 50% background amperage, 40% peak time, and 2.5PPS. My amperage was set around 225, but the pedal was not down very far. This definitley slowed my travel speed, created good fusion, and showed no carbide precipitation. There was only the slight discoloration of the weld area that cleaned up nicely with an SS tooth brush.

I could have made the same welds with the Maxstar 150 STL, but would have traveled faster with less amperage without the pulse. I am telling you this since you are really pumped on trading up to the Maxstar 150 STH. It will make you welding easier in situations like these.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
              Sundown,

I fabricated some templates from .125" SS 304 to use a a guide for my plasma torch. It is a unique project for a great client so I did not want to free hand the cut.

I was in the shop and used my Dynasty 300DX with pulse and fusion welded all the butt joints. I used a 50% background amperage, 40% peak time, and 2.5PPS. My amperage was set around 225, but the pedal was not down very far. This definitley slowed my travel speed, created good fusion, and showed no carbide precipitation. There was only the slight discoloration of the weld area that cleaned up nicely with an SS tooth brush.

I could have made the same welds with the Maxstar 150 STL, but would have traveled faster with less amperage without the pulse. I am telling you this since you are really pumped on trading up to the Maxstar 150 STH. It will make you welding easier in situations like these.
              I'm glad to hear the performance with C25 on thin stuff is good. If I am doing thin stuff it will be in the shop on some carbody stuff so C25 will available no problem. It gives me something to think about after I get the STH deal finished and Dan has had a chance to field test the new Passport that he will get soon I think

Thanks, all the info I can get is great. Dan also said to try 1 sec. pulse on MS 16ga (which is what I am mostly doing with the Maxstar). And the more I think about it, the more I am interested in being able to use the button and 2T.
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Would Not trade !!!!!!

Originally posted by nnn0rau
                Wire speed tracking... (Voltage/Speed tracking is tied together)
                takes some getting use to but, when you get it - no big deal.
                My lincoln "WITH OUT!!!!!! WIRE TRACKING""" In My opion its worth every extra penny for the Lincoln!!Jack
                Have tried the wire tracking machines,,it seems as soon as you get it to where it runs half way decent,,you change thickness in metal,,and the dog and pony show starts again,,the red,is just so much faster and so much more precise,,,Maybe its just me,,,,,,,Jack

Comment

Storts:
                  That is whatever you get used to, I've run both and it is simply getting used to it. My mm210 is a tap machine, the Invision 345mp with 22a feeder I used in school was a variable adjust machine and both work well with attention to detail. I believe if someone is new to welding and is wanting to repeat the exact set of perameters as the last weld the digital infinite adjustability is advantagous, but with proper training and getting used to the machine I can do the exact same weld with either.

Both have benefits, not all appeal to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                    I'm glad to hear the performance with C25 on thin stuff is good. If I am doing thin stuff it will be in the shop on some carbody stuff so C25 will available no problem. It gives me something to think about after I get the STH deal finished and Dan has had a chance to field test the new Passport that he will get soon I think

Thanks, all the info I can get is great. Dan also said to try 1 sec. pulse on MS 16ga (which is what I am mostly doing with the Maxstar). And the more I think about it, the more I am interested in being able to use the button and 2T.
                    George, just buy another 210 and set it up with .023 and C-25 for that car body stuff. As good as the 210 is set up with .023 and C-25 on thin ga sheet, if i had the need to weld autobody thicknesses, I 'd spend the time to switch the unit over. Obviously though, the Passport is an appealing unit to me, so i can question your thinking on this one.

On my Maxstar 150 STH, I use the 1 PPS when adding filler. When fusing ( no filler) 16 ga. SS, I use the 2.5 PPS setting. I honestly could do either without the pulse, however, the pulse makes it much easier and more entertaining too.

Comment

Anymore I dont find it really entertaining,,, hahahaha. Its more like work.

Comment

Working...
                      X