Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to build a mechanics pit in my garage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Why not a lift instead of a pit? I have two friends that are mechanics. One has a lift and the other has a couple of lifts and a pit. They both say they prefer the lift. In fact, the shop with the pit is about to fill theirs in. Says it's dangerous and takes up too much space.

How big is the are you want to put it?
    I don't have the ceiling height as i have a 2nd floor. It was just something i am kicking around and prob can build it for under a grand...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Why not a lift instead of a pit? I have two friends that are mechanics. One has a lift and the other has a couple of lifts and a pit. They both say they prefer the lift. In fact, the shop with the pit is about to fill theirs in. Says it's dangerous and takes up too much space.

How big is the are you want to put it?

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    You've probably already considered this, but when I built my garage and discussed a pit with the code officer he asked how I intended to ventilate it. Virtually all solvents, gasoline, propane, and whatever, produce fumes that are heavier than air and will tend to congregate in the pit. I ended up not being able to afford to do the pit anyway, but it was an interesting question. Lots of garages had 'em in 50+ years ago; never heard of one blowing up but I guess it's possible.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    We considered building one when we built our garage years ago. Our original idea was to extend the pit all the way out under the back wall of the garage so that if we ever managed to set something on fire an easy escape route would be available fast. In the end we didn't have the money for it but much later I installed a 2 post lift and even though I only have a 10' ceiling so I can only get the car up about 4' or so it beats the heck out of ramps, jacks or laying on the floor for a simple oil change. I mostly use a rolling seat instead of standing up.---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• griff01
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have wanted one for more than 35 years and just might make it happen this winter when the temp goes down a little more. Was going to do the brick and mortar route but now changed my mind to 1/8" steel plate and build it in the hole. Prob pour some pads in the center and corners. Weld 2" angle along the bottom on the outside. Use diamond plate on the floor. Put 6 threaded all thread holes where the pads sit to level it up. Then 3' x 8' for the sides and 3' x 40 for the ends and tack that all in. Then another 3' on top of that with 2x2 angle around the top for the planks when its not in use. Figured why lay up the walls when I can weld it in. Maybe tar the bottom sheet(s) before its set in place then I can reach down 3' to tar the sides then the top. Maybe some channel stiffeners on the botton and the sides. Just a thought...Bob
    I had a storm shelter (Flat Safe) installed in 2014. The walls are 10g but are surrounded by four inches of newly poured concrete. It basically is just a pit with a sliding lid.
    HTH
    Griff

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Bob

here is a pretty good discussion on The Garage Journal Board forums.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=197150

Leave a comment:

• theweldor
    replied
    I would think that you would want to go with 1/4" plate at the least. Depending on the soil conditions you could quite a bit of force on the walls.
    Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    started a topic I want to build a mechanics pit in my garage.

I want to build a mechanics pit in my garage.

I have wanted one for more than 35 years and just might make it happen this winter when the temp goes down a little more. Was going to do the brick and mortar route but now changed my mind to 1/8" steel plate and build it in the hole. Prob pour some pads in the center and corners. Weld 2" angle along the bottom on the outside. Use diamond plate on the floor. Put 6 threaded all thread holes where the pads sit to level it up. Then 3' x 8' for the sides and 3' x 40 for the ends and tack that all in. Then another 3' on top of that with 2x2 angle around the top for the planks when its not in use. Figured why lay up the walls when I can weld it in. Maybe tar the bottom sheet(s) before its set in place then I can reach down 3' to tar the sides then the top. Maybe some channel stiffeners on the botton and the sides. Just a thought...Bob
Working...
X