X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfie_1986
    replied
    Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
    Anchor is a China-based mfg'er.: http://anchorwelding.en.hisupplier.com/ . Whether or not they are good, I have yet to find out since I can get Lincoln Electrodes at my Home Depot stupid cheap in the 50lb tin cans.

My LWS keeps touting Bรถhler as a great European welding wire mfg'er, but I've also heard the contrary here and there on the forums. One stick electrode mfg'er I do consistently hear with a bad rap is the Radnor house-brand from Airgas. One off-brand I have used is "Blue Demon", because I wanted something in 5/64", but didn't want to pay a large price-to-pound cost, and their 5lb packs are priced good on Ebay. They ran fine from what I remember. I also have lots of TIG rods by Blue Demon, and for my hot-rod projects at home, they run just fine.
    Bohler is a great rod. My CST loves them. Nice puddle, easy to run out of position. The slag peels itself off most times if I do my part right. They are now my favorite rod.

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Got ya. Well looks like its on the right track.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Originally posted by PSCampSr View Post
    I wanted to collect opinions and start a discussion that may be of interest to others. As I mentioned earlier, I keep seeing what appear to be really low prices for off name rods. Since I am retired money is not as loose as it was when there was plenty coming in, I need to make it count. Blue Demon is one of the brands that seems to be very competitively priced, but is it a value or a waste of money?
    I'll help you out. I have some Blue Demon 6013 in 5/64". I remember it welding alright. Want me to weld up a joint?

Leave a comment:

• PSCampSr
    replied
    I wanted to collect opinions and start a discussion that may be of interest to others. As I mentioned earlier, I keep seeing what appear to be really low prices for off name rods. Since I am retired money is not as loose as it was when there was plenty coming in, I need to make it count. Blue Demon is one of the brands that seems to be very competitively priced, but is it a value or a waste of money?

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied

You had mentioned Anchor in any earlier post, I believe it is a Chinese brand / or of Chinese manufacture. Do you find any differences between Anchor and the US made brands you mentioned above?

PSCampSr
    No, not really. Any rod I picked up, the only problem was poor pep or poor performance, as soon as its set up right, any rod I used has run just fine. I would pick Lincoln or Esab over Anchor just because they are bigger and probably more refined but then again that's just an opinion.

Are you not able to run a certain rod or some rods just don't run good in your hand? or are you just collecting opinions?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    There are a few rods that I really like to use from some of the maintenance rod companies, but the stuff is so expensive it makes it cost prohibitive most of the time. <br />
    <br />
    Castolin eutectic might be considered a premium brand, but that's probably because of their price tag. They also make quite a bit of rod for other companies to brand for themselves. They're more of a specialty type of company I think. Fancy schmancy stuff.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    And Anchor is a brand from ORS Nasco a large welding supplier in the US...Bob

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied

You had mentioned Anchor in any earlier post, I believe it is a Chinese brand / or of Chinese manufacture. Do you find any differences between Anchor and the US made brands you mentioned above?

PSCampSr
    That's a big problem. Because you never really know where the wire or rod comes from or starts out at. There are only so many factories that box rods for everybody's name. Some companies get wire or rod and slap their name on them that may sound like a US name. Plus some of the materials that go into making rods and wire is only found overseas. So to say its 100% USA made really isn't true. I sell the Anchor brand also and no one has complained. I have welded myself with prob 20+ brands over the years and in real time it may have only been 5 brands because of the different names on the boxes. Just my thoughts...Bob

Leave a comment:

• PSCampSr
    replied
    Originally posted by Olivero View Post
    Yeah, hard to say.

I doubt there is really much of a difference between the brands, I personally stick with name brands I know like Mckay or Lincoln or Radnor. Just because they are big names and must have good quality stuff. I can't really tell the difference between an excalibur or a Mckay 7018 rod,

PSCampSr

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    Yeah, hard to say.

I doubt there is really much of a difference between the brands, I personally stick with name brands I know like Mckay or Lincoln or Radnor. Just because they are big names and must have good quality stuff. I can't really tell the difference between an excalibur or a Mckay 7018 rod,

So no, I can't tell you what I like and what I don't like other than the big brands have good stuff and the small brands might not. The rods are made in a way so they run the same and are to a certain criteria (if i am not mistaken) so they will act pretty uniform, but the guys who have been in the business for ages will have refined it better and fixed their mistakes. That's just my view point.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Probably comes down to personal preference really. I don't know of any specific rating like you're looking for.

For me, I stick with what I've come to like until someone suggests I try something different. I use the same rods simply for consistency. I know the quality and I know how they run, so I stick with it.

For for 6010, I like the fleetweld.
    For 7018 I've been using Excalibur, but I just got a can of esab atom arc on a friend's recommendation, I'll give it a try.

Both are name brand, both I trust and can obtain by the truck load locally if I need it.
    Last edited by ryanjones2150; 07-19-2016, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    Does anyone know if there is a rating anywhere to compare different branded rods?
    PSCampSr
    The best you will do is find the rod comparisons on YouTube

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I will use anything. I have worked for so many cheap shops that used anything under the sun i got good with them. I like the McKay 7018
    ...Bob

Leave a comment:

• PSCampSr
    replied
    I agree that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

My question was originally if there were no name / off brand electrodes that were favored (Olivero mentioned Anchor) by the welders here or if there were brands to stay away from. What are your favorite rods and why? Does anyone know if there is a rating anywhere to compare different branded rods?
    PSCampSr

Leave a comment:

• Olivero
    replied
    I gotta agree with Ryan on this one. I do every weld as crucial and aimed for perfection as any other weld. Doesn't matter what it's for, should be professional every time. I use Radnor or Hobart/Mckay for TIG and Anchor or Lincoln for stick electrodes.

6011,6013 and 7018 is about all you need for most things. Construction, marine and all that stuff is different and has requirements but if you keep some of the above and if your fancy, some 308L sticks then you should be good for most situations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X