No announcement yet.

Stick Electrode Ratings by Brand / MFG ? Favorites / Bummers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few rods that I really like to use from some of the maintenance rod companies, but the stuff is so expensive it makes it cost prohibitive most of the time. <br />
    <br />
    Castolin eutectic might be considered a premium brand, but that's probably because of their price tag. They also make quite a bit of rod for other companies to brand for themselves. They're more of a specialty type of company I think. Fancy schmancy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PSCampSr View Post

You had mentioned Anchor in any earlier post, I believe it is a Chinese brand / or of Chinese manufacture. Do you find any differences between Anchor and the US made brands you mentioned above?

PSCampSr
      No, not really. Any rod I picked up, the only problem was poor pep or poor performance, as soon as its set up right, any rod I used has run just fine. I would pick Lincoln or Esab over Anchor just because they are bigger and probably more refined but then again that's just an opinion.

Are you not able to run a certain rod or some rods just don't run good in your hand? or are you just collecting opinions?
      if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

I wanted to collect opinions and start a discussion that may be of interest to others. As I mentioned earlier, I keep seeing what appear to be really low prices for off name rods. Since I am retired money is not as loose as it was when there was plenty coming in, I need to make it count. Blue Demon is one of the brands that seems to be very competitively priced, but is it a value or a waste of money?

Comment

Originally posted by PSCampSr View Post
          I wanted to collect opinions and start a discussion that may be of interest to others. As I mentioned earlier, I keep seeing what appear to be really low prices for off name rods. Since I am retired money is not as loose as it was when there was plenty coming in, I need to make it count. Blue Demon is one of the brands that seems to be very competitively priced, but is it a value or a waste of money?
          I'll help you out. I have some Blue Demon 6013 in 5/64". I remember it welding alright. Want me to weld up a joint?
          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Got ya. Well looks like its on the right track.
            if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
              Anchor is a China-based mfg'er.: http://anchorwelding.en.hisupplier.com/ . Whether or not they are good, I have yet to find out since I can get Lincoln Electrodes at my Home Depot stupid cheap in the 50lb tin cans.

My LWS keeps touting Bรถhler as a great European welding wire mfg'er, but I've also heard the contrary here and there on the forums. One stick electrode mfg'er I do consistently hear with a bad rap is the Radnor house-brand from Airgas. One off-brand I have used is "Blue Demon", because I wanted something in 5/64", but didn't want to pay a large price-to-pound cost, and their 5lb packs are priced good on Ebay. They ran fine from what I remember. I also have lots of TIG rods by Blue Demon, and for my hot-rod projects at home, they run just fine.
              Bohler is a great rod. My CST loves them. Nice puddle, easy to run out of position. The slag peels itself off most times if I do my part right. They are now my favorite rod.

Comment

Working...
              X