Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wp9 water cooled torch broke...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My wp9 water cooled torch broke...

    I was welding some fairly heavy aluminum and suddenly felt a warm shower on my back. My torch had sprung a leak in the incoming line and was spraying all over the shop. I turned off the pump and found that it broke right at the Din fitting. I may have accidently pulled a kink in it. So not really thinking about it I cut the line thinking I would just somehow reconnect the water hose and get back to work. But of course I didn't think about the conductor running inside the hose.
    Can these be repaired? I really like this style of torch. Can just the hose be replaced? Dumb move to cut the thing, I could have limped along with it air cooled for a bit.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by LannyN View Post
    I was welding some fairly heavy aluminum and suddenly felt a warm shower on my back. My torch had sprung a leak in the incoming line and was spraying all over the shop. I turned off the pump and found that it broke right at the Din fitting. I may have accidently pulled a kink in it. So not really thinking about it I cut the line thinking I would just somehow reconnect the water hose and get back to work. But of course I didn't think about the conductor running inside the hose.
    Can these be repaired? I really like this style of torch. Can just the hose be replaced? Dumb move to cut the thing, I could have limped along with it air cooled for a bit.

    Thanks
    You have me confused.....

    in my experience.....a #9 torch is air cooled.... with the #20 being the water cooled version of that form factor

    are you sure it's not a WP20....??

    What brand is it...???

    how about a pic of the break...??
    Last edited by H80N; 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought 9 and 17 were air cooled and the 20 was water. Sold some parts for a WP20 yesterday...Bob
      Bob Wright

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        I thought 9 and 17 were air cooled and the 20 was water. Sold some parts for a WP20 yesterday...Bob
        Yup....................
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          I too agree.
          The WP9 and WP17 are both air cooled torches and the WP20 is the water cooled torch.
          I had my WP20 spring a bad leak about a year ago and I had to buy a new cable/hose.
          I used original torch but it still was an expensive fix.
          pg
          Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
          Coolmate 3
          MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
          HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
          Victor O/A Rig
          Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
          10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
          Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
          Baldor 10 inch Buffer
          Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
          Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
          Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
          Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
          Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, it is a wp20,not a wp9. The brand is CK. It was originally hooked to my Dynasty 300 dx which is still out for repair. Maybe I don't need the water cooled model for my 200 amp machine. I rarely weld any big stuff. But it sure worked well while it worked.

            Comment


            • #7
              You should not run a water cooled torch without water. It will over heat very quickly. The design for water & air cooled torches are different.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is link to manual for your WP-20
                Hope you can fix it cheaply.

                https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...25425E_MIL.pdf

                Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

                Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

                Comment


                • #9
                  They're not that hard to fix. Here's a good video on it, kind of funny too. <br />
                  <br />
                  https://youtu.be/Ytbq8viJPJ8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If the break is at the end of the hose you may need a fitting like this. Check for the correct size and type to fit your application.
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Ente...4AAOSwMmBVton9
                    ---Meltedmetal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LannyN View Post
                      Yes, it is a wp20,not a wp9. The brand is CK. It was originally hooked to my Dynasty 300 dx which is still out for repair. Maybe I don't need the water cooled model for my 200 amp machine. I rarely weld any big stuff. But it sure worked well while it worked.
                      A pic of the damage would still be useful...

                      OK... so it would be a CK20

                      while consumables like cups and collets are interchangeable across the brands ...... many times the hose and power cable assys may not...........

                      So I would stick with CK parts...

                      need to narrow it down.... cold water hose..?? or return line/power cable..??.... 12Ft or 25Ft...???

                      Here is their cable page (Pic also posted below)

                      http://www.ckworldwide.com/ck20_ck24w_ck25.html


                      AND.... here is the link to the Torch Manual

                      http://www.ckworldwide.com/CK20R.pdf

                      Here is the CK Homepage

                      http://www.ckworldwide.com/


                      Click image for larger version

Name:	cables_20_24w_25.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	570196
                      Last edited by H80N; 07-16-2016, 08:26 AM.
                      .

                      *******************************************
                      The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                      “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                      Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                      My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

                      TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thank you for all the information. It looks like maybe a new power hose will fix it.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X