Farm Needs 252 or 350p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm Needs 252 or 350p

Our old Comet buzz box finally died at the farm and I have been looking into a MM 252 or a 350p. The work we do is mainly maintainance and repair. Fixing feeders, gates, and other small jobs, all the way to welding back to get a part of the combine or loader that can be up to an inch or 1 1/4 thick steel. In the shop we have single phase power, 50 amp plug, portability not a big issue at all. In 20 years i have never heeded to weld aluminum so i am guessing i wont in the next 20. I don't have any expeirence with Tig so i am not worried about which one is good for TIG and ALUM etc. I guess what i am wondering is with my single phase and 50 amp plug is there going to be much of a difference between the 250 and 350p for what i am doing or is the 350p going to do a better job on the thicker steel. Thank you.

Get the MM252. I used one everyday for 5 years welding 1/4-1" plate with zero issues. Made about 400 grand with that machine. There is a rebate on the MM252 right now...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Oh and you can run .045 flux core with gas on the thicker parts if you want to...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

On the oher hand..........

I have had my MM350P for several years.... and LOVE it...!!!!......

https://www.millerwelds.com/~/media/.../8/dc12-51.pdf

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m00151

Last edited by H80N; 07-13-2016, 05:29 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Have used both, ran the mm252 up against duty cycle many times and for the work I did the oem gun & cable wasn't quite big enough, a lot of sputtering when gun got hot. But with that said I was making my living with it. <br />
          Up graded to mm350-P, 4 or 5 years ago, never regretted it once worth ever penny!!!! It is awesome machine!!!! Never hit duty cycle on it and hv welded a lot of 1-1/2" plate. Have had gun so hot couldn't hold it any longer, stick gun in bucket of water and keep going. <br />
          And I love the pulse for very light metal. I use .045 for 11gauge don't even bother swapping to lighter wire. I also use pulse anytime I want less heat but never need to worry about penetration. It's my pick hands down. <br />
          Greg

Comment

Thank you to the responses. I have never used the a mig with "pulse". Are the settings and/or welding with pulse in general difficult to learn? I have experience with traditional Mig welders but not with the "pulse" function.

Comment

Pulse no big deal. If you can mig you can pulse mig. There is a chart same as with mig. Takes a little getting used to but really not much different than mig. Just gives you a lot more flexibility with lighter metal and with fill-in, also if need to keep temp down but still keep penetration weld integrity. If you have poor fit up and need to fill a lot I'll just switch to pulse. And it welds fast in pulse and produces high quality weld. So all in all its a great tool to have in your box.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                Pulse no big deal. If you can mig you can pulse mig. There is a chart same as with mig. Takes a little getting used to but really not much different than mig. Just gives you a lot more flexibility with lighter metal and with fill-in, also if need to keep temp down but still keep penetration weld integrity. If you have poor fit up and need to fill a lot I'll just switch to pulse. And it welds fast in pulse and produces high quality weld. So all in all its a great tool to have in your box.
                +1 Well PUT......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Also inverters require less power to produce more output!!
                  If you want to be able to learn to do more then the 350-P is great....
                  Farms require all types of metal repair to keep running.
                  For just plain old steel for just general welding, you won't exceed the MM252 with only 50 amps input.
                  But if you want your mind blown, the 350-P will certainly do that !!
                  I like mine for the POWER and the ability to use push pull pulse aluminum.
                  I like the pulse spray on steel also.
                  For just plain old steel I might still go for the 350. It's just so nice once you become accustomed to it.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Farmer Marty: I am a relative newbie with a 350p, which I love. H80N and gnforge are some of the 350p gurus here. Listen to them. If you have the money for the 350p, it is a pretty sweet machine in my newbie opinion.

It does have flip down charts on the front for both mig and pulse modes.

Mig chart variables are your wire size, metal type and metal thickness. Look on the chart where those variables intersect and the chart will give you two variables which you manually set with two dials: the volts and wire speed.

Pulse chart variables are your wire size, metal type and metal thickness. Look on the chart where those variables intersect and the chart will give you one variable which you manually set with one of the dials: wire speed (which is a faster speed for the same metal type and metal thickness than when in mig mode - why?). In pulse mode the machine apparently sets the arc length for you automatically but you can adjust it manually from there. (I have no idea why you would adjust the arc length and what it does for you when you do adjust it longer or shorter.)

I have played a little with pulse mode, but hopefully you will buy a 350p and ask these gurus to gives us a tutorial on how to use it in pulse mode.

And if you are interested in welding aluminum in the future (like me) this is a great video regarding Mig vs Tig and it isn't even about pulse which is a feature of the 350p:

https://youtu.be/3vySksqFcsM
                    Last edited by E350; 07-15-2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

All these responses have been terrific. I am heading out next week to buy a 350p. I have just one question. There are lots of times i am welding a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch piece of metal to a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick square tubing. In the past the old buzz box would melt the smaller metal and burn holes through it by the time it heated up the thicker metal enought. Will pulse mode help this?

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer Marty View Post
                        All these responses have been terrific. I am heading out next week to buy a 350p. I have just one question. There are lots of times i am welding a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch piece of metal to a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick square tubing. In the past the old buzz box would melt the smaller metal and burn holes through it by the time it heated up the thicker metal enought. Will pulse mode help this?
                        Pulse will help.... But you should do just fine in regular mig mode...

Here is a link to the Operators manual... to help familiarize yourself with it's operation and features...

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...1327AH_MIL.pdf

You will LOVE that MM350P..................

BTW... you want the regular "Millermatic 350P" NOT the specialized Aluminum only version (MM350P ALUMINUM)
                        The full featured "Millermatic 350P" has excellent performance on on the full range of metals ..... including steel... aluminum... and other non ferrous metals...
                        Last edited by H80N; 07-20-2016, 09:38 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

I would probably go 252 for steel in a farm shop, so much cheaper and you don't need pulse. It would be great for body work.

Comment

Pulse is I great feature and not just for sheet metal repair. <br />
                            I do a lot of under ground reamer rebuild and a lot of times need to build up areas 1-1:2 " wide and 1" thick or build up 1" <br />
                            A lot of these are 4130 steel so it needs pre heat and stays very hot wile welding. Most of time I use alloy wire in metal core with pulse mode. Pulse helps keeps inter pass heat down and is very clean. Produces very good build up weld and heat is much easer to keep in range. <br />
                            Also pulse allows me to weld 1/8" with .045 wire so I no longer use any .035. Saves in switch over time. <br />
                            If I want or need heat in a weld I'll use mig. If I want to keep heat to minimum or have very poor fit & or need to fill in area I'll use pulse. <br />
                            So pulse is very useful in very light to thick metal, it's not a fix everything but a super useful tool in box. <br />
                            One down fall of pulse is its no benefit with dual shield. But dual shield is fast freeze anyway so don't really need it. <br />
                            For me in shop is wire, mig & pulse. In field is all dual shield unless weather is very bad then intershield or good old stick. <br />
                            Like I said in beginning I've had both and you will hv to pry my cold dead hands off 350-P.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                              Pulse is I great feature and not just for sheet metal repair. <br />
                              I do a lot of under ground reamer rebuild and a lot of times need to build up areas 1-1:2 " wide and 1" thick or build up 1" <br />
                              A lot of these are 4130 steel so it needs pre heat and stays very hot wile welding. Most of time I use alloy wire in metal core with pulse mode. Pulse helps keeps inter pass heat down and is very clean. Produces very good build up weld and heat is much easer to keep in range. <br />
                              Also pulse allows me to weld 1/8" with .045 wire so I no longer use any .035. Saves in switch over time. <br />
                              If I want or need heat in a weld I'll use mig. If I want to keep heat to minimum or have very poor fit & or need to fill in area I'll use pulse. <br />
                              So pulse is very useful in very light to thick metal, it's not a fix everything but a super useful tool in box. <br />
                              One down fall of pulse is its no benefit with dual shield. But dual shield is fast freeze anyway so don't really need it. <br />
                              For me in shop is wire, mig & pulse. In field is all dual shield unless weather is very bad then intershield or good old stick. <br />
                              Like I said in beginning I've had both and you will hv to pry my cold dead hands off 350-P.
                              +1........... I love my MM350P

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X