• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You dream about Helga's sister?<br />
    <br />
    That's awesome. I'll tell her in the morning. She will be pleased.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Stefen7 View Post
    Atlantic Canada, as far East as you can go without getting in a boat. Very few units of this size around. I dream about the Airco Heliwelder in Maine, on ebay for $200, but too far to drive, towing a 950# welder. Even a 30 year old AC-DC 'Buzz-Box' is going for $450. A rusty 40 year old AC-only is going for $250, and 35 year old Dialarc that had a rough life is going for $1250. I envy those who pick these units up at auction for $100. To clarify, the unit in the photos I posted is similar, not the exact unit.
    Well that sure does change the picture.....

Did not want you to overpay

a lot of good people here happy to help and counsel
    Last edited by H80N; 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    Atlantic Canada, as far East as you can go without getting in a boat. Very few units of this size around. I dream about the Airco Heliwelder in Maine, on ebay for $200, but too far to drive, towing a 950# welder. Even a 30 year old AC-DC 'Buzz-Box' is going for $450. A rusty 40 year old AC-only is going for $250, and 35 year old Dialarc that had a rough life is going for $1250. I envy those who pick these units up at auction for $100. To clarify, the unit in the photos I posted is similar, not the exact unit.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    To clarify, the reason I asked about the diodes is they seem the be the only parts that parts that would fail on this type of welder. That type of large welder is very rare in my area, and I did not want to drive 14 hours round-trip, pay $500, for a 45 year old welder and throw it in the scrap pile if a diode failed.
    $500...??? that seems pretty high..... $300 would be tops in my estimation for one in FINE condition
    (your pics indicate that this one has lead a tough life)

It is a 45 year old stick welder after all

Where are you located...........??... Upstate NY..?? Maybe...??
    Last edited by H80N; 07-12-2016, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    To clarify, the reason I asked about the diodes is they seem the be the only parts that parts that would fail on this type of welder. That type of large welder is very rare in my area, and I did not want to drive 14 hours round-trip, pay $500, for a 45 year old welder and throw it in the scrap pile if a diode failed.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I was at work. There is a used one I am going to look at this weekend, and I needed all the info & help possible. Thank you for asking.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I called the literature dept (920-735-4356), and they e-mailed me the manual. For anyone else looking for the same manual, it is:

IOM-312A - 6/69

Models:
    250 AC/DC (900 941)
    250 P AC/DC (900 950)
    250 AC/DC-HF (901 122)
    250 P AC/DC-HF (901 129)

Thank you to H80N, Aeronca41 and the team at Miller for your help.
    Glad that worked for you.....

Do you have a problem with it....??? symptoms... ??

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    I called the literature dept (920-735-4356), and they e-mailed me the manual. For anyone else looking for the same manual, it is:

IOM-312A - 6/69

Models:
    250 AC/DC (900 941)
    250 P AC/DC (900 950)
    250 AC/DC-HF (901 122)
    250 P AC/DC-HF (901 129)

Thank you to H80N, Aeronca41 and the team at Miller for your help.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    A better photo of the front for anyone looking for information on a similar machine.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied
    Sorry, trying to post a better photo of the unit tied up my connection for 30 minutes, and still did not load, (slow rural dial-up). I'll give Miller a call. Thank you for the info about the diodes.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    BTW if rectifier diodes are defective.... they should be easily cross referenced to currently available by referencing the diode industry #

usually or at least often a 1NXXXX #

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Sorry, this is my first time posting and still figuring out how the site works.

I have a larger photo but the site will not allow me to load it, I am trying to sort that out.

Serial number for that machine is 71-560949.

The manual OM-313, August 1973, starts with serial number 72-612483, so presumably this machine predates 1973.
    Your machine appears to be a 1971 version per the chart

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/serial-number-chart

Since it seems to predate the manuals posted online.... try calling the literature dept 920-735-4356 or 1-800-4-A-Miller (1-800-426-4553). Manuals not online are likely still in their library

They may be able to Email the correct version... or sell a hardcopy
    Last edited by H80N; 07-12-2016, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    If H80N doesn't find you a manual (he almost always does-definitely a guru at finding info) just call miller. I went through the same issue with an old Millermatic 200 manual and they had the correct manual in my email box in an hour. Super people.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    "Secondly, if the rectifier diodes in an old machine fail, can they be replaced with parts for a current Dialarc unit? "

As long as the current and voltage ratings of replacement diodes are = or greater to the originals they will work. Just need to be careful about polarity-there are generally two "positive" and two "negative " diodes (assuming a bridge rectifier design-most common, but not always. If there are only two diodes, it is a "non-bridge" full wave rectifier design, with a center tap on the transformer secondary winding, in which case the diodes are likely identical) sometimes called straight and reverse polarity diodes on old machines. The difference is whether the mounting stud is the cathode or the anode of the diode. Some applications use insulated mounting and all 4 are the same but I don't think that is very common. Need to check the schematic diagram against the physical construction. Not good if you mix up the diode types when replacing them. Makes a potentially expensive short circuit.

Leave a comment:

• Stefen7
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X