Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blow your welders out..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    If I was in a plane and a stinkin snake fell out onto my lap, it's quite likely that it would've been me bailing out that door when Frank opened it. I don't do snakes. At all. Well I take that back, there's only two kinds of snakes I don't like, dead ones and live ones, the rest are fine.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
      Okay, looks like I offered bum info, and that the mothballs may be a bad idea. In searching about whether the fumes are corrosive, I so far have found out that mothballs used to mostly be naphthalene (quite flammable) and are now more commonly 1,4-dichlorobenzene, and that the fumes of either variety are pretty hard on your bod. Also, the info is that mothballs are not very effective against rodents and snakes. Still trying to find out about corrosiveness. Maybe the peppermint oil is the way to go.

      I still would like to know why we don't see welders with air filters and shutters, but any time I have ever asked this question it has disappeared without a trace, with nary a word from the company reps who sometimes have comments on other matters (who is the Miller man here?). In the meantime, I think I can find a square or rectangular automotive filter and airbox (for a 2bbl Weber) that I can put on the back of my MM-175, which is long-since out of warranty.

      Come on, Miller, wouldn't you like your marketing guys to be able to brag about this innovation? Wouldn't you like your dealers to sell air filter elements?

      Hi, old jupiter. We did have filters on certain machines years ago, but we found that the filters run a high risk of overheating the machines. Most of our current machines are built with the parts that need cooling in the path of the cooling fan, and the electronic parts out of that path so they stay clear of dust and other elements that might cause them to fail prematurely.

      We hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions!

      Thank you and weld on...

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post


        Hi, old jupiter. We did have filters on certain machines years ago, but we found that the filters run a high risk of overheating the machines. Most of our current machines are built with the parts that need cooling in the path of the cooling fan, and the electronic parts out of that path so they stay clear of dust and other elements that might cause them to fail prematurely.

        We hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions!

        Thank you and weld on...
        Just have to ask-was that because of the filter or because of "inattentive" (I know you can't say just dumb when representing Miller) users who never changed them ?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

          Just have to ask-was that because of the filter or because of "inattentive" (I know you can't say just dumb when representing Miller) users who never changed them ?
          Hi, Aeronca41. We found that filters weren't a very efficient way to keep the machines clean in the long run, which is why our wind tunnel technology was developed. We wanted to create an easier way for machines to be filtered and also eliminate the worry of having to change out a filter time after time. The wind tunnel technology doesn't completely eliminate the need to blow out the machine, but it does make it easier because you do not need to remove the case or cover.

          Let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

          Comment


          • #35
            Thank you very much for responding. Would you tell me some of the models that had filters? I would like to find photos and look at the installation. Without discounting your efforts, and being reluctantly willing to accept that you may be right about this, I still find it hard to believe that a simple, effective, long-working filter arrangement can't be devised.

            Comment


            • #36
              Just did this to my Dynasty 200 when i was putting new feet on the bottom and removed the cover, almost choked on the dust.
              if there's a welder, there's a way

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                Thank you very much for responding. Would you tell me some of the models that had filters? I would like to find photos and look at the installation. Without discounting your efforts, and being reluctantly willing to accept that you may be right about this, I still find it hard to believe that a simple, effective, long-working filter arrangement can't be devised.
                You're very welcome, old jupiter. The following machines had filters: the Deltaweld 302, 452 and 652; the Goldstar 302, 452 and 652; and lastly the Dimension 302, 452 and 652.

                We've also included the field instructions to our discontinued filter kit (part # 042939). Let us know if you'd like us to message them to you as well.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Field Instructions (Page 1 of 2).png
Views:	262
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	569815 Click image for larger version

Name:	Field Instructions (Page 2 of 2).png
Views:	275
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	569814

                We hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Thank you again. I already see what I regard as a problem, but I'm going to have to make a couple of drawings and then have a pal show me how to scan and post them here.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    You know, Old Jupiter. Blowing out your welder every year or so probably takes less time than going through this, as well as trying to outsmart Millers engineering crew. Unless you really just want a filter, in that case, never mind.
                    if there's a welder, there's a way

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Body shops are the worst but I would never need to blow mine out. They sit in a relatively clean shop and I try not to blow grinding dust everywhere.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X