X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by old jupiter View Post

Aeronca and H80N know light aircraft, and may have a story of rotating and climbing out from the field and seeing no indication on the airspeed because one of those little wasps has put her mud plug in the pitot tube.
    When i was a refinery operator i saw a tank suck in because of a large bee's nest that plugged the vent line. Looked like a giant pop can that had been crushed in your hand...Bob

Leave a comment:

• old jupiter
    replied
    Anybody getting bug or rodent infestations in their welders or whatever might try inserting a little box, with some holes in the top, of mothballs.

I think I've seen the same substance available in an aerosol spraycan. Possibly that would work for keeping the tiny mud-wasps out of the various small orifices they like to nest in. Someone told me you have to watch out for those little mud plugs in your spare oxy/acetylene and other pressure bottles, something I've not encountered but am watching for now. Of course we know to "crack" the valve to blow stuff out, and I do that when I bring in a new bottle and hook it up immediately. But I have bottles I only use on occasion, such as Ar/He, which mostly just sit, and maybe I wouldn't have cracked those valves if I hadn't been wised-up about those little wasps getting inside the cap and nesting in the outlet of the valve.

Aeronca and H80N know light aircraft, and may have a story of rotating and climbing out from the field and seeing no indication on the airspeed because one of those little wasps has put her mud plug in the pitot tube.
    Last edited by old jupiter; 06-24-2016, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Yes, but will a K&N for my maxstar 150 give me 20% more power and increase my argon gas mileage?
    only if you are snorting NOX...............

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yes, but will a K&N for my maxstar 150 give me 20% more power and increase my argon gas mileage?

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    +1 ! How hard/expensive could it be, especially in light of the purchase and repair cost, of inverters?

Leave a comment:

• old jupiter
    replied
    Welders have always had fans drawing air into and through them for cooling purposes. The automobile industry figured out, oh maybe ninety years ago, that they could filter out a lot of the dust and stuff that the air was carrying into their engines. Why can't the welder manufacturers see that it would be ridiculously easy and cheap to put an intake airbox with filter element on the back of all their welders? They could make money selling replacement filters! (Then K&N could make a replacement element that works better and longer than the paper filters and can be washed out, treated, and re-used!). Even the smallest automotive or motorcycle filter has to pass more air than the welders would, so the imagined "restriction" of such a filter is a non-issue unless the owner completely neglects to check the filter occasionally.

How often do you have to stick a compressed air gun down your car's intake to blow out the dust and bugs out of the engine?

Are you going to tell me that dust could still get in the other end of the welder, through the air exit? Are you going to tell me that the engineers aren't capable of figuring out a system of light, flexible shutters to prevent most of this? Are you going to tell me that a stamped steel airbox-plus-filter and the outlet-side shutters, made on a production line like every other part, would be prohibitively expensive? Nonsense; they'd be a selling point, especially for the first company to do it, and every other company would soon copy the idea.

I'd really hate to see one of the Chinese welder manufacturers be the first to get a clue here. They didn't even have private cars until maybe twenty years ago or so. But what do you bet . . . .

Just my long-held opinion.
    Last edited by old jupiter; 06-24-2016, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• E350
    replied
    My experience:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...mpletely-stops

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I have 7 dogs and a cat and do it a few times a year...Bob

Leave a comment:

• piniongear
    replied
    All of you guys agreeing on blowing out your welding machine also need to do that with your computers. How many of you do that?
    I certainly pull the side off mine every 6 months and there is a ton of dust every time I clean it. Electricity attracts dust in any type of machine.
    Perry

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I just fired up my cutting torch after sitting in the corner for about 6 years. No high pressure oxygen when the lever is pressed. Knew there was a mud dauber up that wee little hole. It looked fine on the outside. Took the tip off and sure enough something crawled back in that 1/16" inch center hole and layed mud. It came right out and the torch worked fine...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Hondacivic247
    replied
    I just picked up a new welder and did the same, thing was full of dust which doesn't help with cooling. When it's dust free inside it makes it much easier to see any other possible issues

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    IF a compressed air blast... with the covers off still leaves the internals caked and snotty...

you might consider hosing it out with a few cans of "BLUE SHOWER"

https://www.techspray.com/p-17-g3-bl...e-cleaner.aspx

But be aware... it isn't cheap.......

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Holy smokes, Me and H80N are talking about Disney characters inside of my welder....I don't even know what you guys are talking about...

Leave a comment:

• old jupiter
    replied
    Originally posted by xryan View Post
    Ok, I know everyone was thinking it, but I'll say it. Welders and Weldors work better after being blown...
    No Ryan, only you, we are all Boy Scouts, pure of heart and mind.

Leave a comment:

• TSBWeld
    replied
    Every week I have my guys blow the machines out just thru the vents in the cases, then about every 6 months, I take the covers off and clean them out well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X