No announcement yet.

Blow your welders out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just fired up my cutting torch after sitting in the corner for about 6 years. No high pressure oxygen when the lever is pressed. Knew there was a mud dauber up that wee little hole. It looked fine on the outside. Took the tip off and sure enough something crawled back in that 1/16" inch center hole and layed mud. It came right out and the torch worked fine...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

All of you guys agreeing on blowing out your welding machine also need to do that with your computers. How many of you do that?
      I certainly pull the side off mine every 6 months and there is a ton of dust every time I clean it. Electricity attracts dust in any type of machine.
      Perry
      Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
      Coolmate 3
      MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
      HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
      Victor O/A Rig
      Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
      10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
      Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
      Baldor 10 inch Buffer
      Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
      Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
      Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
      Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
      Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Comment

I have 7 dogs and a cat and do it a few times a year...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

My experience:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...mpletely-stops

Comment

Welders have always had fans drawing air into and through them for cooling purposes. The automobile industry figured out, oh maybe ninety years ago, that they could filter out a lot of the dust and stuff that the air was carrying into their engines. Why can't the welder manufacturers see that it would be ridiculously easy and cheap to put an intake airbox with filter element on the back of all their welders? They could make money selling replacement filters! (Then K&N could make a replacement element that works better and longer than the paper filters and can be washed out, treated, and re-used!). Even the smallest automotive or motorcycle filter has to pass more air than the welders would, so the imagined "restriction" of such a filter is a non-issue unless the owner completely neglects to check the filter occasionally.

How often do you have to stick a compressed air gun down your car's intake to blow out the dust and bugs out of the engine?

Are you going to tell me that dust could still get in the other end of the welder, through the air exit? Are you going to tell me that the engineers aren't capable of figuring out a system of light, flexible shutters to prevent most of this? Are you going to tell me that a stamped steel airbox-plus-filter and the outlet-side shutters, made on a production line like every other part, would be prohibitively expensive? Nonsense; they'd be a selling point, especially for the first company to do it, and every other company would soon copy the idea.

I'd really hate to see one of the Chinese welder manufacturers be the first to get a clue here. They didn't even have private cars until maybe twenty years ago or so. But what do you bet . . . .

Just my long-held opinion.
            Last edited by old jupiter; 06-24-2016, 08:39 AM.

Comment

+1 ! How hard/expensive could it be, especially in light of the purchase and repair cost, of inverters?

Comment

Yes, but will a K&N for my maxstar 150 give me 20% more power and increase my argon gas mileage?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Yes, but will a K&N for my maxstar 150 give me 20% more power and increase my argon gas mileage?
                  only if you are snorting NOX...............

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Anybody getting bug or rodent infestations in their welders or whatever might try inserting a little box, with some holes in the top, of mothballs.

I think I've seen the same substance available in an aerosol spraycan. Possibly that would work for keeping the tiny mud-wasps out of the various small orifices they like to nest in. Someone told me you have to watch out for those little mud plugs in your spare oxy/acetylene and other pressure bottles, something I've not encountered but am watching for now. Of course we know to "crack" the valve to blow stuff out, and I do that when I bring in a new bottle and hook it up immediately. But I have bottles I only use on occasion, such as Ar/He, which mostly just sit, and maybe I wouldn't have cracked those valves if I hadn't been wised-up about those little wasps getting inside the cap and nesting in the outlet of the valve.

Aeronca and H80N know light aircraft, and may have a story of rotating and climbing out from the field and seeing no indication on the airspeed because one of those little wasps has put her mud plug in the pitot tube.
                    Last edited by old jupiter; 06-24-2016, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post

Aeronca and H80N know light aircraft, and may have a story of rotating and climbing out from the field and seeing no indication on the airspeed because one of those little wasps has put her mud plug in the pitot tube.
                      When i was a refinery operator i saw a tank suck in because of a large bee's nest that plugged the vent line. Looked like a giant pop can that had been crushed in your hand...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Does anyone know if the fumes from mothballs are at all corrosive? Good idea to use them, but I'd want to know that answer before putting them in a welder. The old car guys use peppermint oil to keep mice out- they hate it.

Mud daubers and airspeed indicators are an age old problem. Some have the little flapper over the end of the pitot that lifts by pressure from the slipstream. When we didn't have one of those we always just put tape over it with a reminder taped to the instrument panel to prevent self-induced problems.

Comment

Recently sold my 304 XMT/22A to my old employer where I had left it just to return and find it still running but much abused. I’m looking for something not so industrial but still has the kick when I need it as well as light projects away from 220. What is the opinion of the Millermatic 211 with Running Gear?

Comment

At the risk of hijacking this thread, the bugs in the pitot reminded me of another airplane critter issue. Frank had a Monocoupe and worked the airshow circuit in PA/OH way back when. He had a friend who had never flown and Frank kept pressing him to go for a ride. Promised no aerobatics. Finally decided to do it. They took off; all was well, and the guy was enjoying it until a rather large and unhappy blacksnake fell out of the overhead into the guy's lap. Frank opened the side window, grabbed the snake, and tossed it out. I don't think the guy ever went for another airplane ride, and I always wondered if someone on the ground was hit or nearly missed by a flying blacksnake.

Comment

Originally posted by deandog63 View Post
                              Recently sold my 304 XMT/22A to my old employer where I had left it just to return and find it still running but much abused. I’m looking for something not so industrial but still has the kick when I need it as well as light projects away from 220. What is the opinion of the Millermatic 211 with Running Gear?
                              I didn't buy the running gear but bought the old transformer MM211just before the inverter version came out. Love it. I have not heard any complaints about the new one -people seem to like it.

Comment

Okay, looks like I offered bum info, and that the mothballs may be a bad idea. In searching about whether the fumes are corrosive, I so far have found out that mothballs used to mostly be naphthalene (quite flammable) and are now more commonly 1,4-dichlorobenzene, and that the fumes of either variety are pretty hard on your bod. Also, the info is that mothballs are not very effective against rodents and snakes. Still trying to find out about corrosiveness. Maybe the peppermint oil is the way to go.

I still would like to know why we don't see welders with air filters and shutters, but any time I have ever asked this question it has disappeared without a trace, with nary a word from the company reps who sometimes have comments on other matters (who is the Miller man here?). In the meantime, I think I can find a square or rectangular automotive filter and airbox (for a 2bbl Weber) that I can put on the back of my MM-175, which is long-since out of warranty.

Come on, Miller, wouldn't you like your marketing guys to be able to brag about this innovation? Wouldn't you like your dealers to sell air filter elements?
                                Last edited by old jupiter; 06-24-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X