Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yup. Silicon bronze will work to repair cast iron using the tig braze process, especially if you didn't melt too much of the base metal. Hopefully it's not like a foot rest or something else a person might put their full weight on.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    +1 Silcone bronze will fix a few different metals even if they are not the same on either side of the crack...Bob

Leave a comment:

• BOBBYLEE
    replied
    No I didn't put magnet to it, and I'm not sure if its a loading bearing part. My boss just said it needed to be fixed. I was just told that it's bronze cast... I'm a pipe welder by trade, not a metal expert. lol. I did weld it with silicone bronze and it didn't crack. I appreciate everyone's help. If the part is still there when I get to work I'll get more pics.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Yo, Bobbylee, so what does that part do? Is it load bearing or just decoration? How thick is it? Have pictures from other angles or maybe further away to give us an idea on what it is? <br />
    <br />
    Ideally, you'll have a full penetration weld, which will make that piece one solid piece of metal again. Depending on how thick it is or what it does, that may not be possible nor necessary.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by griff01 View Post

I agree with H80N & ryanjones, that's not bronze.

Griff
    Once we figure out if it is Bronze... Iron... Or....??

The crack joint will have to be properly veed out and prepped... BEFORE welding

As pictured.. it is UNPREPARED...
    any welds attempted in this state..are likely to fail in short order...
    Last edited by H80N; 06-13-2016, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• griff01
    replied
    Originally posted by BOBBYLEE View Post
    Here's a pic
    I agree with H80N & ryanjones, that's not bronze.

Griff

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I agree, it doesn't look at all like bronze.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Here's a pic
    Looks kinda like cast IRON..........

have you put a MAGNET to it...???

Last edited by H80N; 06-13-2016, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BOBBYLEE
    replied
    Here's a pic
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BOBBYLEE
    replied
    Here's some pics.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I use the miller forum app. I'm sure if you search the App Store for whatever phone you have you can find it. <br />
    <br />
    A bronze barber chair eh? I have absolute zero experience with antique barber chairs, but bronze? That's pretty cool I suppose. <br />
    <br />
    I'll pass that along to my friend and see what he says. His experience is strictly with bronze casting for fancy schmancy statues.

Leave a comment:

• BOBBYLEE
    replied
    The piece is off an old barber chair, foot rest I believe.
    What app do I own load? As of now I just go to Miller's site and log in from there. I didn't know there was an app. Thanks for everyone help.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You don't want breath the fumes of the zinc boiling out either. Another reason when brazing is a good plan. <br />
    <br />
    As I've been told, there is very little that separates bronze and brass metallurgically. I don't fully understand it. I don't think it really matters in your case. <br />
    <br />
    Depending on how big your repair is, soldering might be an option. <br />
    <br />
    I sent a message to my friend with experience in that area, I'll report back what he suggests. Although he'll almost certainly want more information on the piece. <br />
    <br />
    To post a picture, are you using the phone app or a computer? Super easy with the app, just tap the "add" button on your post and select photo from library or camera.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    How do i post picture's? Can't get a pic till tomorrow b/c the piece is at work. I'll try the AC and see how that does. How do I know its not brass?.. Well, I really don't but it doesn't look like it. One of the guys there said it's bronze cast....
    The division between brasses & bronzes is kinda murky... but generally brasses have a high zinc content... and will boil off white smoke while welding

is it an art casting..?? or marine hardware..?? or..?? tell us more
    Last edited by H80N; 06-12-2016, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BOBBYLEE
    replied
    How do i post picture's? Can't get a pic till tomorrow b/c the piece is at work. I'll try the AC and see how that does. How do I know its not brass?.. Well, I really don't but it doesn't look like it. One of the guys there said it's bronze cast....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X