No announcement yet.

Expensive aluminum part needs welded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the part from a boat. The big ears were broke off. The 3 holes had some metal missing. The big hole was missing 2/3 of the metal so I welded over a steel pin then pressed the pin out. I ended up turning the regulator up all the way and the welds started looking real good. So will try a flow meter on Monday to see if that helps...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

I thought you were gonna tig that thing up...was wondering about that when you said the welds looked kind of bad. Is that cast aluminum?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        I thought you were gonna tig that thing up...was wondering about that when you said the welds looked kind of bad. Is that cast aluminum?
        ​Yes cast aluminum. I don't have a proper TIG and have been Mig welding cast aluminum since '77...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

I've never used a spool gun, so I wouldn't know what to expect. So this is a pretty normal repair for you as it goes then eh? I've only tig welded cast aluminum and sometimes it makes me pull my hair out or stab myself in the eye ball with a piece of hot tungsten, so I can only imagine.

Comment

I love alum mig as I have been doing it since '77 with our first welder a Westinghouse and Westingarc spool gun that was 10 years old then. Moved on to a MM200 and Miller spool gun model #1 or #2 I can't remember. Then a Miller Deltaweld​ 452 and 1/16 alum wire thru a Teflon liner. I bought my MM185 and spool gun in '99 and really like the setup (minus the little tips) with my tip conversion. I really like building up areas with wire welded over a steel plate or pin and seeing the outcome. Some buildups take a whole spool of wire. I do want a TIG machine and maybe someday one will follow me home from work. I have lots of pics but they all need resized...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

I built an aluminum set up for me MM250...a short 10 ft whip and run 3/64 wire through it and it does a really nice job of feeding it. Sucker can flat out throw some aluminum wire down. I just generally don't have a need for such heavy welds on aluminum. I bought four big rolls of 5356 wire at my local Ace Hardware, they had them on the shelf for $9 each. I even took them to the customer service counter and had them check the price and even told them that those rolls of wire were worth WAY more than that. They told me that the price was correct so I told them I'd take everything they had in stock, which was 4 rolls. That will be a lifetime of aluminum wire for me. So anyone needing a roll, we can work something out. I think they're 14lbs spools? Sound right Bob?

Comment

I think our big spools are 16 lbs...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

So how much is that part worth now?
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment