X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    ...and if the instaneous surge voltage is high enough it can arc across an open switch. seen it happen; things that were off turned on all by themselves.
    YUP...!!!

And not to drag us too deep..... BUT...

every wire....lead & board trace is resonant at some frequency.... therefore... an antenna....

every semiconductor junction is a possible "detector"

AND along comes a lightning strike...... A highly energetic...broad spectrum bundle of RF & EM energy.........GigaJoules...worth................
    Last edited by H80N; 07-09-2016, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    ...and if the instaneous surge voltage is high enough it can arc across an open switch. seen it happen; things that were off turned on all by themselves.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    As a semirelated observation....

It is pretty common to see the power lines around here shudder.....shake... sing and swing..... as a reaction to lightning strikes a couple of miles away...

I can't help but think that there are some pretty evil spikes and transients being induced into equipment in the area

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I'd like to hear what he/she has to say.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Make sure ground rods are hooked to the neutral main, any uffer is connected and even improve this if you are in a prone area. I had problems and it as stemming from the phone co and the installer that says,,, I don't understand why,,, so he doesn't follow the instructions. They cost themselves a lot of money and customers a lot of grief due to the fact they learn hand to mouth.
    I ran in to a satellite guy a while back on the other end, a contractor very specific and detailed and was very familiar as to how it should be, bugged the wire right to the rod wire This tries to keep strike out of structures in the first place.
    There is an engineer named Westom on another forum catches some crap but he really knows. If there is interest I will see if he may come and add.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-09-2016, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I have never seen lightening damage to a welding machine. The strike didnt come down the power but in they the media or phone lines which is likely not to be correctly grounded. Section 880 deals with some of it. your welder has a 2 pole disconnect switch, it is electrically grounded so I spose there could be some scenario where the strike could be searching due to the fact it didn't go to earth. It hit an incoming thing on phone or cable which wasn't grounded, look at art 880 NEC.
    ​ I did forensics on one a while back, the adjuster jumped to the fact the well was but but he doesn't know squat. It had hit an out building ungrounded and took the path of a grounded circuit to it, searched around the house attached to that circuit, service was old, gables rotted off and the best ground was downhole with the equipment ground to the well pump. Had it a casing ground or even rods, uffer it likely would have taken the path it was supposed to.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Great! Glad you got it solved, and for not an outrageous price. Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    That sounds great...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Hokie_yj
    replied
    Just wanted to update this thread. I did all the testing I could myself, and everything pointed to the board. I pulled the board out and sent it to Innovat in Marion, VA. Just got the board back Friday and put it back together. Everything seems to be working fine now. It was $200 for the board repair.

Leave a comment:

• Hokie_yj
    replied
    I just checked and I have 220V on both sides of the on-off switch.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    I'd be more inclined to first check power to the machine and it's on/off switch for power after it . Cause the gages will work even if the 230 was cut back to 120. Nothing else will though

Leave a comment:

• Hokie_yj
    replied
    Yeah there is only one big circuit board in it.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Not familiar with your machine but a look at the manual shows virtually everything is on a big circuit board. Perhaps Cruizer or Duane will respond but I suspect the answer is already clear.

Leave a comment:

• Hokie_yj
    replied
    The serial # is LC188779

Leave a comment:

• Hokie_yj
    replied
    I'm at work now, I'll get it and post it up when I get home later this evening.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X