X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Motorboard
    • May 2016

Miller legend nt help

I have a legend nt I bought a few years ago don't do a lot of welding but I do use it for z generator on job site recently it started jumping back and forth from idle speed to weld speed and won't idle lock ser# kh368328 any help would be greatly appreciated
  • cruizer
    • Oct 2004

Going to guess and say you have a frazzled (stuck) CR3 relay. You serial# is incorrect

Comment

• duaneb55
      • Aug 2008

What's wrong with Motorboard's unit SN Jeff?

AEAD Legend, The Legend, Miller Legend NT. Similar names for different machines. It's almost like Miller tried to make things confusing.

But his posted SN comes up as Operator's Manual OM413 for the Miller Legend NT and CR3 in that machine simply by-passes the fine voltage rheostat at low idle/power speed.

As such, I'd suspect a faulty idler module for incorrectly energizing throttle solenoid control CR1 seeing as the machine is still acting up with the idle lock on which takes CT1 out of the equation as you know. This is presuming RUN/IDLE is selected on the ignition switch.

Slight chance it could be a bad CR1 making contact from engine vibration and that would be easy enough to check by testing for 12VDC between idler module terminals C & E when it goes to high idle/weld speed. If the switch settings are such that it should stay at low idle/power speed and idler module terminals C & E have 12VDC across them, it's an indication to me of a defective module.
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

• cruizer
        • Oct 2004

Cause the Ledgend NT didnt start being built till KH369... least wise, thats what the technical site says. . So the 8 may be a 9.... Cause the idle speed is jumping and doent lock, its likely not CR1, so CR3 popped up. weak idle solinoid maybe., but I dont think it has a separate hold and pull function. just pull and hold. 75 % of the time is a corroded junction block on the firewall, between the engine and generator.

Comment

• duaneb55
          • Aug 2008

I see something different with KH368328 but that's beside the point.

Idler module energizes CR1 to pull in throttle solenoid TS1 to take engine to high idle/weld speed not the other way around. The Legends are the odd balls in that regard and I agree it's not very likely at all that CR1 is bad. I can also say it's not CR3 as well.

Are you looking at schematic drawing 184 759-A?

Last edited by duaneb55; 06-07-2016, 08:19 PM.
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          *HF-251D-1
          *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
          PakMaster 100XL

Comment

• Motorboard
            • May 2016

Thank you for your help I'm currently recovering from a car wreck I'll get some help in a few days to help me check it out and post results. Your help is greatly apprecited. The ser# is what's on machine I'll double check it

Comment

• duaneb55
              • Aug 2008

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              *HF-251D-1
              *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
              PakMaster 100XL

Comment

• hagball52
                • Jan 2020

I have recently acquired a Miller Legend NT. It looks like the generator has been replaced at some point because all of the white wires coming out of the generator have been butt spliced going to the control panel and auxillary power outlet. The problem I'm having is it won't idle up when I strike an arc to weld. It will idle up when I turn the idle/run switch to run and it will idle up when I plug a grinder into the auxillary power outlet and turn it on. I've checked the wiring diagram and it shows two wires going to transformer CT1 (# 91 & # 71) and the two wires (#8 & #33) going to PC1 the idle/run control unit. My welder has no #71 wire. I have searched all over the unit for that wire. One end of it comes from the weld winding and goes through the transformer CT1 and attaches to terminal #75 @ S4. I'm not sure what S4 is or where it is and I'm starting to think that the generator that is on my unit does not have wire #71. It welds fine when I turn it to run on switch. If someone has a picture or can tell me about that #71 wire going to transformer CT! it would be greatly appreciated. My welder serial number is KJ292993. I will buy you dinner and a cocktail if anyone can help.
                My wiring diagram is on page 29 OM-413
                Last edited by hagball52; 01-20-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• welderman2020
                  • Jul 2021

Number 71 is a transformer wire going into the voltage regulator according to my diagram

Comment

• welderman2020
                    • Jul 2021

It's a green wire coming off the plug to the PC card

Comment

Working...
                    X