Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Syncrowave 180SD welder repair shop in Charleston, S.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike22590 View Post

Agreed!!!

Your experience with Miller circuit boards mirrors what is occurring industry-wide --- many companies, I'll use Apple as an example, do not authorize component level repairs. The reason is component-level Printed Circuit Board (PCB) repairs are notoriously unreliable, are time consuming (even when you have manuals, schematics) and absent specialized PCB test equipment and NASA-trained (solderers for example) almost impossible to fix as many are multi-layered and use layouts that go well beyond "discrete" circuit arrangements. In effect, as welders become more and more sophisticated many of these boards will be "pull and replace" ---- with the consumer paying dearly.

Comment

• Thanks for the info!!! I may get a set of Miller approved boards some day for my welder. If my welder had more adjustments besides amperage, I'd be more inclined to get a set of new boards. I may try a non-Red or non-Blue brand next. These off brand welders may be cheap but I'm willing to try one for myself. They have a few more settings than my 1999 Syncrowave 180SD. Thanks again!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FrancisJ View Post

Your experience with Miller circuit boards mirrors what is occurring industry-wide --- many companies, I'll use Apple as an example, do not authorize component level repairs. The reason is component-level Printed Circuit Board (PCB) repairs are notoriously unreliable, are time consuming (even when you have manuals, schematics) and absent specialized PCB test equipment and NASA-trained (solderers for example) almost impossible to fix as many are multi-layered and use layouts that go well beyond "discrete" circuit arrangements. In effect, as welders become more and more sophisticated many of these boards will be "pull and replace" ---- with the consumer paying dearly.

Absolutely right. Back in the early-mid 70's I used to teach troubleshooting and component level repair of computer boards (mostly Digital Equipment Corp, but others also) to our company's field engineers. Wouldn't even think about that in today's world-and we do pay dearly if we want the machine fixed. Just no other options-pay, or junk it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

Absolutely right. Back in the early-mid 70's I used to teach troubleshooting and component level repair of computer boards (mostly Digital Equipment Corp, but others also) to our company's field engineers. Wouldn't even think about that in today's world-and we do pay dearly if we want the machine fixed. Just no other options-pay, or junk it.
          I received my boards back. Think I'm going to junk the Miller and stop the 💸💸💸. Alphatig 200 looks interesting. I can spend $800 for a new complete machine of unknown longevity......or pay $900 - $1100 for a pair of boards of unknown longevity. Junking the Miller😊😊😊😊😊

Comment

• Sucks throwing good money after bad.

Comment

I received my boards back. Think I'm going to junk the Miller and stop the 💸💸💸. Alphatig 200 looks interesting. I can spend $800 for a new complete machine of unknown longevity......or pay $900 - $1100 for a pair of boards of unknown longevity. Junking the Miller😊😊😊😊😊
              Offer still stands to have them looked at for you.
              MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
              *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
              *HF-251D-1
              *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
              PakMaster 100XL
              Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
              http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Alphatig 200 looks interesting. I can spend $800 for a new complete machine of unknown longevity.
                Had a customer in yesterday looking at our Syncrowave 210. I said my buddy just bought an Alpha Tig. He said he bought one online from Home Depot and it was perfect, for a while. Now it won't go to a higher amp setting and the temp light stays on. Prob was overworked a little but know he doesn't know what to do with it...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

• Id take Duane up on his offer.

Comment

• My Miller was used every other day in a home garage doing aluminum fab work. I don't think I'll overwork the Alpha Tig. Since I know the warnings......I'll let it rest and be careful. Going to do more research on the non-Blue or non-Red companies out there.

Comment

• I know I'm late to the conversation here, but if you need repair of things, I'd suggest going to local sources. Maybe next time try here.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDemerse View Post
                        I know I'm late to the conversation here, but if you need repair of things, I'd suggest going to local sources. Maybe next time try here.
                        ???? Nothing on their web site relates to any welder repairs that I could find. Am I missing something?

Comment

• Sorry Aeronca. I was talking about for component-level PCB repair as was mentioned above.

Comment

• No problem--I just went to their site to see what they offered. Found a list of brands of boards they repair, and I didn't see Miller, Lincoln, ESAB,or any other welder companies listed. Thought there might be another section of their web site that I missed. Always good to know where there are sources of repair.

Comment

Working...
                            X