Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Syncrowave 180SD welder repair shop in Charleston, S.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In stick mode.....blue Hall device unplugged....gas valve open....turned on machine. Blue high frequency light on all the time, no gas flow and full power at the torch.

Comment

Ok, the full power would be correct, so it's,still a board issue. Personally I,d just get a new one or send it to PLC stating the problems

Comment

I looked around a little and found they range from $660 - $900. What about the Q1 transistor?? Thanks for your time😊😊

Comment

Originally posted by Mike22590 View Post
          What about the Q1 transistor??
          You can change it if it makes you feel better but it's not your problem.

Have you confirmed if you even have 24V+ at the 14-pin remote receptacle pin A?

I don't mean the paperclip between pins A and B test but actually checking for 24V+ at pin A with a volt meter between A and K (chassis ground)?
          MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
          *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
          *HF-251D-1
          *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
          PakMaster 100XL
          Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
          http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

While you're at it, check for 24V+ at PC1 gas valve control harness receptacle RC1-2 with the machine turned on and pedal depressed or use the paperclip between pins A and B again.

If no 24V+ at remote receptacle pin A and/or none at RC1-2 then I would say you lost 24VDC grid power on PC1 or at least on part of it.
            Last edited by duaneb55; 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM.
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            *HF-251D-1
            *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
            PakMaster 100XL

Comment

If you have 24V+ at 14-pin A but none at RC1-2 in the above test then I would suspect an open diode D16 preventing 24V+ from reaching the gas valve and HF control circuits.
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              *HF-251D-1
              *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
              PakMaster 100XL

Comment

I checked for 24VDC at pin A and pin K = 0volts......I checked for 24VDC at pin A and pin B = 0volts.....I checked for 24VDC at gas solenoid valve with foot pedal depressed = 0volts. Any ideas?? Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

There's a component on PC1 identified as TCR1 located next to choke L7 which is approximately midpoint on the board in line with receptacle RC2. I don't have this board in front of me to confirm 100% but I believe this is a Temperature Coefficient Resistor based on the acronym and its location in the circuit. These devices protect against current surges and often used as fuse protection for a circuit. If open, it will prevent 24V+ from getting to 14-pin A.

If you can access both sides of TCR1 you can check both sides for 24V+ voltage to chassis ground. If voltage on one side only, TCR1 has failed open and would be the cause of your problem.

If it proves to be failed, I don't know what its value is and only a call to Miller Customer Service would tell if they'd be willing to share that information with you.

If TCR1 proves to be failed open, Check for continuity between 14-pin B and K. If continuity here check diode D19 for being failed shorted to ground.
                  Syncrowave 180 SD
                  *HF-251D-1
                  *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                  PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Couldn't find TCR1 but I measured resistance between Pin B and Pin K=15.88K ohms. Put ohmmeter on diode and got a reading of .603. Anymore ideas? TCR1 bad?? Thanks!!!

Comment

With no 24V+ at 14-pin A, I suspect an open TCR1 (aka Thermistor). If this turns out to be the case, it would just be a good idea to identify and/or eliminate any possible board associated causes.

I initially expected a resistance of or near 0 between B and K if diode D19 was shorted to ground and now that I look there are a couple reasons you would get a 15.88K ohms reading with a good D19. I trust you got a reading of 0 across D19 with the probes reversed?
                      Last edited by duaneb55; 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM.
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      *HF-251D-1
                      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                      PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Did he check continuity for the TPs from RC4-7 to RC1-5, so wire 4 to wire 44.. I mean no arc, HF, or gas.

Comment

I didn't suggest it seeing as the machine has output in stick mode which it wouldn't have if one of the three thermostats in that circuit were open.

With no 24V at 14-pin A but 15V PC1 grid power to fire MOD1 and MOD2, dual 18V secondary transformer output at RC1-13/RC4-3 and RC1-14/RC4-2 is obvious leaving an open TCR1 as the likely culprit.

Would you agree or do you see something else?
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          *HF-251D-1
                          *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                          PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Ok at the end of the day the board needs repaired correct? I'm just interested because I'm having the exact same issues and i'm going to send it out to be repaired if the problem is on the board and not a hard part in the welder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dconn23 View Post
                              Ok at the end of the day the board needs repaired correct? I'm just interested because I'm having the exact same issues and i'm going to send it out to be repaired if the problem is on the board and not a hard part in the welder.
                              I would love to hear what the repair people find and charge. I'm going to keep my machine and fix it. I'd like to get a good used one for the same price as a new board but then I'd have a broken machine taking up space😕😕😕 I've used it for 17yrs or so and it looks brand new but it doesn't have the fancy features of the newer welders that I'd like to have. It's kindof bare bones entry level but has served me very well for many years😊😊😊😊

Comment

Originally posted by Dconn23 View Post
                                Let me know what they find, charge and who you sent it too. Thanks😆😆

Comment

Working...
                                X