Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syncrowave 180SD with no gas and no arc in Tig mode.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 180SD with no gas and no arc in Tig mode.....

Hey....I'm new here but have read some posts concerning Syncrowave 180SD problems. The s/n is KK120959 and I've had it since new. I use it almost weekly if not daily and noticed a few weeks ago while welding aluminum tubing that the machine was acting like the gas was turned off. The weld would get sooty and crusty as if I inserted the tungsten in the aluminum bead. I normally would have the gas set at 20psi but cranked it up to 30psi hoping it would help. Really didn't help at all. Then the machine would mysteriously start operating normally and weld pretty beads for a week and then start the sooty, crusty welds again. It was welding good the last time I used it. I turned it on this Monday wanting to weld up some nicks in an aluminum control arm. I did have some gas flow/arc for a few seconds then no gas and no arc in tig mode with the foot pedal depressed. I guess whatever was acting up intermittently finally failed. I changed out the torch for a known good one and foot pedals. Nothing. I have gas flowing out of the tank with the regulator removed and with the hose removed from the back of the welder. I checked the voltages at the plug with the cover removed. I have 240V at white wire to black wire, 120 volts from white wire to bare copper wire and 120 volts from black wire to bare copper wire. I opened up the machine for the first time and checked the points. The gap was .016" each so I closed them up to .012" hoping this would help. Still nothing with the pedal depressed. No arc or gas flow. I put the machine in stick mode, setting it at 50amps and touched the tungsten to a piece of thick aluminum and got a relatively small arc or spark and dragged the tungsten as it sparked. I depressed the pedal and the tungsten got bright and hot and began to burn up and melt with no gas flow. I couldn't drag it like I could with the pedal not depressed. I didn't see a circuit board in there but I didn't want to touch anything so it might be in there afterall. Any ideas??

Most of these units, there is a screen where the gas comes into the unit.this screen likes to plug up

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I removed the shielding gas hose and there is no screen inside the fitting mounted through the back of the machine. Is it inside the machine? Will this cause no arc when the foot pedal is depressed??

Comment

Originally posted by Mike22590 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I removed the shielding gas hose and there is no screen inside the fitting mounted through the back of the machine. Is it inside the machine? Will this cause no arc when the foot pedal is depressed??
        There are usually no screens on the welder end. There are screens on the regulator inlet to trap possible rust/dirt coming from the cylinder or from dirt that inadvertently got in the cylinder outlet valve opening when there was no regulator attached. Could check it. Could also be the regulator diaphram or piston (depending on the model) that is not working.
        Are you getting gas coming out of the hose if disconnected? Assume you mean 20 and 30 CFH not psi! In fact if you actually had a regulator and set it at 20 psi the flow rate would be so high you'd just be pulling air into the gas stream! Typically with TIG (or MIG) the pressure in the gas delivery hose when welding is 3 to 7 psi. The flow is set in the regulator with a needle valve or if a regular/flowgauge (one with an outlet gauge calibrated in CFH) a very small orifice, typically 0.025/0.030 on the inside or in the outlet fitting.

Comment

Yep.....I normally set it at 20cfh but may go up to 30cfh if it's breezy. Yes....gas is coming out of the bottle, regulator( I have a Y fitting for purging) and at the hose when disconnected from the machine. It seems I have no power or signal to the gas solenoid to allow flow and no high frequency arc either. The fan runs as normal and the white ON/OFF light is on. No BLUE high frequency light when the foot pedal is pressed and no gas flow.

A few times I used the machine in tig mode before the total failure.... the welder acted like it had no gas flow and sooted up the weld but I did have high frequency arc. It would weld fine for 30 minutes or so then act up. Then weld fine for awhile and act up. Then it worked fine until now. Maybe I can part out the machine and get a newer one 😊😊😊

Comment

Working...
          X